Can you get a good slap tone with a passive bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mike_odonovan, Feb 13, 2005.

1. just thought i would try and stir up an hornets nest!

name players to justify case.

hey its sunday and its rainin here!
  2. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Yes. Any passive jazz or P/J usually sounds good slapped.
  3. Ofcourse! =) my precision sounds great, and so do the rest of the millions passive basses with a minority of tone :D i guess the most important thing to have a good slap tone, is the slap technique, wich is basicly: Do it allot, and get experience ;)
  4. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Yes. Larry Graham used a passive jazz quite effectively.
  5. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Toss something in the bridge position, and you're golden. Hell, you don't even need a bridge pickup...even a Precision will sound good slapped (depending on strings.) To me, the classic P-Bass sound is with flats, but I'd say the technique and strings are of paramount importance for a good slap sound. Electronics and wood are secondary.
  6. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Fuzzbass on his Fender RB5.

I ain't that good at slap but I can get good tone (according to my bandmates anyway). :p
  7. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    My ric is a slappah.
  8. 6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    Some passive basses are pretty hot too, my bass with some fresh strings gives me a wicked slap tone. My action is a bit off, and my technique not the greatest, but still I think it sounds pretty good.
  9. My corvette had a nice tone, although a bit thin at times for my taste
  10. Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    My answer:

Any bass I am NOT slapping on has a good slap tone.
  11. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I hate slapping on active basses.
    Thinking about it, I don't like doing anything on active basses.
  12. oversoul

oversoul fretless by fate

Feb 16, 2004
    two words: Godin Freeway
  13. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Me on my Lakland Daryl Jones 5
  14. artitrol

Jan 15, 2005
    which kind of slap tone u like?
    if u like a warm, punch, wood-feelin', strong and classic slap tone, u should take a passive bass like a fender 70s jazzbass or hot rod amercan precision bass, yamaha bb3000 is good at slap too.of cus there are many passive bass has a good slap tone.
    but if u want a modern, dream, delicate and hi-fi gain slap tone like victor wooten's, u must take a active bass.
  15. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    Passive is superior to ANY active preamp, hands down. As a matter of fact, the really good active preamps try hard to maintain as much of the "natural" openess and airyness qualities of a passive circuit as is possible, and then build on that tone.
  16. I agree completely...when buying a bass...if you can...get it passive...if you need some of that "active" it through a high-end outboard pre-amp like a Sadowsky or an Aggie.

Most mass-produced basses have crappy active circuitry.
  17. PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    yes, easily. as stated before, if you like the more vintage sound of slap/funk

for all your hi fi needs, persoaly i prefer an onboard pre-amp, just so you can switch tones between a slap peice, and a finger style peice.

passive is full range of sound, no scooped mids, like what most pre amps tend to sound like
  18. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    well, yes but not as good (should i say defined?) as in active basses, having the possiblility to mess with the treble and mid high knob is a big advantage. But you can always get a good slap tone on a pasive bass that have a nice treeble growl on the bridge p-up
  19. ^^^
    What he said.

I love the sound of my Jazz getting slapped like a bitch. :D
  20. I disagree. There are some basses out there that live or die by their onboard preamp, like the EB/MM basses, for example. A well designed preamp puts more control in the hands of a player, and that's never a bad thing, as long as you know how to use it effectively and the electronics are well-designed.