1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Can you get a smooth punchy sound with flats?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by JJd2sc, Apr 6, 2006.

1. JJd2sc

JJd2sc

Jul 31, 2003
    Marietta, Georgia
    Im thinking about throwing some flats on my stingray. I want clarity, definition and punch but still a smooth tone. I hope im not being too contradictory. Can this work? Any ideas for brands to achieve this?

2. txpitdog

txpitdog

Jan 1, 2006
    You might get some punch with a Stingray, but I would expect it to be more thumpy than punchy.

3. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    TIs!!!! TIs!!!!! Thomastik-Infield!!! Thomastik-Infield!!!

Bright, Clear, but super smooth and punchy. You must try out these strings, you basically described them in what you're looking for.

4. morf

morf Banned

Feb 17, 2006
    d'addario flats work for me on my p bass

5. dunamis

dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    Another vote for TI Jazz Flats.

6. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    UK
    Rotosound SM77's

They are the brightest and most punchy flats I have used, though I haven't tried D'addario yet.

7. ebe9

ebe9

Feb 26, 2006
    South Africa
  8. Loel

Loel Blazin' Acadian

Oct 31, 2004
    What you've described,clarity,definition,and punch are
    to my ears D'Addario half rounds smooth feel warm tone,while
    maintaining zing;I use half rounds on every bass except
    my Lakland Glaub p-bass, this is strung with D'Addario
    chrome flats!

cheers

9. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    +1 on the d'addario chromes

great strings, i use them on my jazz fretless and will on my precision when i get one

10. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    Fender 9050ML's :hyper:

11. JJd2sc

JJd2sc

Jul 31, 2003
    Marietta, Georgia
    My worry is still being able to cut through a mix with flats. Im sure the lows will be heard, but will any attack be heard as well?

12. That was my worry for 15 years, BUT I've recently switched from DR FatBeams to Chromes. The Chromes DO cut through!
    Bass players will always have to fight the kick, piano and darn heavy guitars for a spot in the mix. For the longest time I didn't think flats would do it, but they do. I'm sure the T1s would do it also.:bassist:

13. When I bought my second Stambaugh(used, from TBer snyderz:) ), it came w/LaBella flats installed & D'Addario & Dean Markley flats in the case(the seller swears by LaBellas). After trying the extras on my Washburn AB-20 ABG F& comparing w/the 'Bellas, I'm a LaBella man myself. The aforementioned Stammie gets a lot of 'cut-through' comments, & it's passive.

14. I stay away from Rotosound, Ernie Ball, and D'add flats like the plague.

TI flats are OKAY. They feel nice but need a lot of work to 'deaden' them.

15. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Yup, they've got all of the punch, thump, clarity, cut-through, etc that you'd need without the zing.

16. Right now I am liking GHS Brite Flats groundwounds but I have not tried many other flats or groundwounds yet. IMO these strings definately have their own personality. I have had them on a couple of very different basses and was surprised at the similarity.

Peace,
    S

17. I find the half-rounds to be more difficult to play than rounds

18. Are you talking about getting a good tone, or maybe technique things because of the tension or maybe something else? Just interested in hearing your experience because I was about to restring yet another bass with one or another brand of half/ground wounds.

Thanks,
    S

19. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Chromes punch like a heavy weight boxer. Cheesy analogy but they really do.

-Bazz-

20. rotero

rotero

Feb 25, 2006
    Orlando, FL
    It's going to be a different "attack" than you are used to with any flats. But put it this way, Steve Harris of Iron Maiden plays flats. (Heavier Rotosound flats than the TI Jazz Flats I prefer, but I get plenty of attack too) 'Nuff said.

You will NOT get walloping "slap attack" like you would with rounds and active electronics. (Slapping flats is more of a "boink" sound which not too many player are going after ;), but they sound pretty cool with envelope filters ) Picks and fingers sound GREAT with flats.