Can you get fretless GUITARS?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by CaM90, Aug 12, 2005.

1. CaM90

Dec 14, 2004
    I had no idea where to post thia but I've been wonderign abotu this for awhile? Can you get/make your own fretless normal 6(or 7) stringed guitar(not bass)? Is the sound similar to a fretless bass? Do any companies make fretless guitars or woudl you have to defret your own?
  2. i've seen a couple on ebay before, but i'm not sure who made them
  3. bassist286

Nov 22, 2001
    rhode island
    a) you type like me
    b)yes they exist, i think they sound like crap unless you really know what your doing
    c) this is TALKBASS not talk guitar no offence.
  4. Man, I saw a guy play fretless guitar once... It was crazy... But he's the best guitarist I've ever seen or heard, so I don't know how it would sound if a more ordinary player was using it.

His board was epoxied, if anyone wanted to know.
  5. RedGrange

Jun 11, 2000
    Springfield, IL
    My first bass teacher had a Fretless Gibson Les Paul
  6. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    This guy at the Guitar Shop by me plays a fretless.
  7. gojirin

Oct 11, 2004
    Godin makes an 11 string guitar. Never had the chance to play one, personally.

Shawn Lane played a fretless on at least one recording with Jonas Hellborg. There's the bass connection, 286.

Must be really hard...
  8. 43apples

43apples Guest

Nov 9, 2003
  9. Doesn't or didn't Shawn Lane play fretless guitar?
  10. hippiesandwich

Aug 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Affiliated with Looperlative Audio Products
    Vigier makes fretless guitars with aluminum fingerboards. Ron Thal (Bumblefoot) is a master player of them.
  11. chris h

chris h Guest

Jun 16, 2002
    Oxford, England
    Another Vigier fan here. As well as their SUPERB basses (of which I have had a couple - one fretless with the 'delat metal' fingerboard - not sure its Aluminium) they make the fretless guitar which im sure is pretty tricky to master!
  12. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Larry Coryell used to play a fretless nylon strung acoustic a few years back.
  13. Secondhandloser

Mar 28, 2005
    I made on for my guitarist- it soundskinda funky- really cool distorted, but he has a lot of trouble playing it so we don't use it much.
  14. RHFusillo

RHFusillo Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ
    Pat Metheny had a fretless guitar made for him.
  15. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    I defretted an old Strat, but it's not finished yet.
  16. djcruse

Jun 3, 2002
    Norwood, MA
    [font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]David ‘Fuze’ Fiuczynski plays fretless guitar with a Boston band called Screaming Headless Torsos.
  17. Yes, they definitely do exist. But I suspect these are really one-off custom jobs.

One the the first fusion bands that got me playing the bass way back in the early eighties was a Japanese fusion group called Casiopea. The guitarist Issei Noro recorded numerous tracks on various albums using a fretless Yamaha guitar.

Kind regards,
  18. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Must be next to impossible to play barre chords on one.