Can you get growl from GK cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by chaosMK, Jul 14, 2005.

1. chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I dont have a lot of experience with GK but have tried them out briefly on a few occassions. I've always associated GK with a "punchy" clear type of sound. I am curious if anyone has been successful in producing a "growly" sound (thinking something like RATM Evil Empire) out of them. Is GK just the wrong way to go about it?
  2. My main bass is a StingRay 5 and I get good growl, while still retaining pucnch, and high end clarity.

The "Boost" knob on my 1001RB-II helps get a good growl.
  3. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Yeah, the boost control is the key. Its purpose in life is to generate growl. I think it's more effective on the new generation of heads than it was previously. I'm pretty heavy on the boost with my new 700RB-II, and it's great.

Edit: Thought your post was about heads, but I see it was about cabs. I have a GK Neo112, and I would say it leans toward the clean, hi-fi end of the spectrum. But if it's fed a nice growly signal, it will follow suit. It has plenty of punch.
  4. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004

I was recently reading on the GK site that stated there was a problem with getting growl out of full range cab and that the horn frequencies need to be seperated out. I think it was in the RB 700 amp manual.
  5. throbgod13

Mar 26, 2005
    using my 83 JBass and my 400RB through my Ampeg 4x12" cab, i get a very decent growly bass tone..

i have my boost set to about 12 o'clock..