Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Can you get growl from GK cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by chaosMK, Jul 14, 2005.

1. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I dont have a lot of experience with GK but have tried them out briefly on a few occassions. I've always associated GK with a "punchy" clear type of sound. I am curious if anyone has been successful in producing a "growly" sound (thinking something like RATM Evil Empire) out of them. Is GK just the wrong way to go about it?

2. My main bass is a StingRay 5 and I get good growl, while still retaining pucnch, and high end clarity.

The "Boost" knob on my 1001RB-II helps get a good growl.

3. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Yeah, the boost control is the key. Its purpose in life is to generate growl. I think it's more effective on the new generation of heads than it was previously. I'm pretty heavy on the boost with my new 700RB-II, and it's great.

Edit: Thought your post was about heads, but I see it was about cabs. I have a GK Neo112, and I would say it leans toward the clean, hi-fi end of the spectrum. But if it's fed a nice growly signal, it will follow suit. It has plenty of punch.

4. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

I was recently reading on the GK site that stated there was a problem with getting growl out of full range cab and that the horn frequencies need to be seperated out. I think it was in the RB 700 amp manual.

5. throbgod13

throbgod13

Mar 26, 2005
    Texas
    using my 83 JBass and my 400RB through my Ampeg 4x12" cab, i get a very decent growly bass tone..

i have my boost set to about 12 o'clock..