Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Can you get MM growl from soapbars?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by metalbass101, Nov 22, 2004.

1. metalbass101

metalbass101

Jan 24, 2004
    You know what I'm talking about. That Leo fender P/MM pup snarl. That beefy powerful low end with the deep growly aggressive in your face bite? Anyway? Like a graphic eq teaking or something?

2. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Gold Dial Soapbars usually make me growl ...

Forgive me paul, I think it is the Blue Water ...

3. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

As David Wilson has commented on numerous occassions, soapbar just referes to the shape so can be any pup type within - singles, HB, whatever. Aside from knowing what's inside one, another problem with soaps unlike J's and MM's is they come in a myriad of shapes - so it may as well be a P pup as a different shape soap. In all probability what you're looking for is available in a soapbar. Finding it in one that fits your routing is likely to be a problem.

I have a pair of soaps from an Epiphone Thunderbird that are along the lines of what you described - they're single coils in my recollection. Checked, they're HB's.

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Yup, Bart and EMG both make soapbars with various coil configs.
    Think of an 'MM' pup as a soapbar pickup with two humbucking coils in parallel under the covers.

5. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    The key to the MM sound is the way that the pickup is wound (humbucker), how it is wired, the number of windings that it has, and it's two rows of oversized magnets. Granted, you could say the same things for just about every pickup out there, but the MM's double row of oversized magnets tends to set it apart from most other pickups. If you have a soapbar that meets these criteria, then you're probably going to be pretty close to the MM sound in a soapbar package. However, if you're talking about a stacked coil soapbar with conventionally sized magnets and is wound as a low-impedence pickup, then you will probably be disappointed that you're not as close to the MM sound as you would otherwise like to be. The size and shape of the pickup aren't necessarily all that important. The key to tone often comes down to what is actually inside the pickup cover itself. ;)

6. That description also sounds like the MFD pickups found on G&L basses...

:D

7. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

reminded by this thread, I dug the TBirds out and dropped them in a bass and played them tonight. Noticeably thin upper mids and top but punchy bottom with narly snarl all around yet flexible enough tonaly for them to be tune friendly to a broad range of musical styles. I'm going to leave them in place of the Antiquity II's they replaced for a bit.