1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Can you give me advice on using a Tascam Bass Trainer (CD-BT2)?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by RandomEvent, Feb 23, 2008.

1. RandomEvent

RandomEvent

Nov 10, 2007
    EDIT: I have the CD-BT2, if that makes a difference. It's the newer CD one, that lifts up as a whole to put CDs into it. Also, I've thought about getting something like a Sansamp BDDI or something similar to hopefully help the sound quality. Is this possible? I've read a TBer use the trainer and the BDDI in conjunction, but I don't really get how to do it and what it does besides make the sound better.

I've done a search, and most of the posts were either about how people hated or loved it, or what settings people used. Sorry, but I'm a real noob with the EQ/Electronics/Amps/etc part of the bass world.

My problem is, WHAT settings should I use? I can't seem to find anything that makes the bass stand out. I just want to know the best setting on the Tascam Trainer so that the CD's basslines stand out. Like, should I use the VSA setting? And should I be changing the pitch? I did try to do these things, and the only thing I really noticed was the songs can either move faster or slower. I noticed if I used the BBE, Boost and Enhance helped hearing basslines a bit, but sometimes I just couldn't hear them. The CUT feature does seem great though, but I want to learn the basslines right now, not add my own.

I can't get anything I seem to want out of it. I'm wondering if it's my headphones, but I own a pair of Sony V6's, and they seem to be studio standards. I know tons of people who do professional recording using these headphones. Thus I am forced to believe I just don't know enough about the settings of this CD Trainer, such as EQ, VST, Pitch Change, etc. I am also looking into new headphones, if anyone can recommend a great pair for 150 or under, that'd be cool.

Also, I can't figure out how to get rid of effects while playing a bass with the trainer. I originally wanted to hook this up to my Raven Labs PHA-1 headphone amp and use that as an EQ, rather than mess with the Tascam's settings. Is this possible? I think it should be, but I'm not sure what cables I should get to hook them up to one another. And whether I should plug my bass into the CD trainer or the Raven Labs.

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide me.

2. RandomEvent

RandomEvent

Nov 10, 2007
    Also, I heard there was a way to turn the tracks down, but turn the bass up? Is this possible, or does that have to do with boosting EQ settings for bass?

3. oldrookie

oldrookie

May 15, 2007
    Avon, IN
    To enhance the bass...push the BEE button. You'll see the Effect menu show up on the bottom half of the screen. Use the Value buttons to turn the effect on or off. Use the Cursor button to move to the Mode function. Use the Value button to Boost, Enhance or Cut the bass from the tracks. There are three levels for each value.

To remove all effects...push the Effects button. You will be on the Bank setting. Use the Value buttons (the minus button) to move to the first setting which is Bypass. This will remove all effects from your output.

I use the headphone jack to feed signal to my amp...should work to feed your outboard processor. I use a mini plug (stereo) splitter and plug in a set of RCA cables and go into the left and right RCA inputs on my amp.

You'll just need to adapt the above to accommodate the type of plug needed to go into your processor.

4. oldrookie

oldrookie

May 15, 2007
    Avon, IN

There is a limit to how much you can turn the bass up...just drives the unit too hard, I guess. To adjust it...push Level button and use the side buttons on the Cursor to move between the Bass and the CD. Select the one you want and then use the Value buttons to raise or lower the Bass volume and/or the CD volume.

5. RandomEvent

RandomEvent

Nov 10, 2007
    Ok, I've pretty much got everything down now but how to actually incorporate my Raven Labs PHA-1 into the setup. I'm not sure if I should use the Phones or Line Out, and I'm not sure if the Tascam should be connected to the input, Mix, or headphones jack in my Raven Labs. I find that just using the Tascam, my bass (passive) is very low volume even with the input jacked up and the bass volume jacked up. I can't find a happy medium between bass and CD level. So, I'm hoping I can use the headphone amp. Any help is appreciated.

6. oldrookie

oldrookie

May 15, 2007
    Avon, IN
    Can't help with all of this because I haven't messed with the Raven unit. Shouldn't hurt things to try a variety of hookups. Don't bother with the headphone jack on the Raven. That is an output and will not serve as a way to input the output from the Tascam.

Line Out on the Tascam will be an amplified signal. As long as there is no preamp on the input on of the Raven, it should work. If you take the line out from the Tascam and it sounds distorted then there is a preamp in the mix somewhere and you'll need to find another input into the Raven, or go to the headphone output of the Tascam.

Another option? Don't plug your bass into the Tascam. Take it straight into your Raven and take a separate input from the Tascam. I do this with my Ampeg amp. Gives me more control over the mix of the two. As long as you have two inputs in the Raven, this will work for you.

Just took a look at the Raven on-line. Two inputs...so should be fine. Get an adaptor cable..mini-plug to 1/4" and plug it in. Looks like the bottom input is low level input...so don't use the line out from the Tascam there...use the headphone out and control the volume using the Phones volume.

7. RandomEvent

RandomEvent

Nov 10, 2007
    Yes, that way works. The only thing I noticed is that I had to turn the CD Level up, because I had it down originally. Now I'm getting good sounds all around. I do wish there was someway you could EQ the Tascam and Bass separate though. By way of the headphone amp, I mean.

oldrookie, thank you very much for all of the help you've given me.

8. oldrookie

oldrookie

May 15, 2007
    Avon, IN
    Glad to help. I really like my Tascam...sure you'll like yours.

I think you will need another EQ in the bass line before the Raven to EQ them separately.

9. RandomEvent

RandomEvent

Nov 10, 2007
    Can you give me an effective solution? I'm not really concerned about price, more so simplicity. I like the Raven Labs already because the EQ is great and simple to use.

10. oldrookie

oldrookie

May 15, 2007
    Avon, IN
    Testing the limits of my knowledge base :)

Can't really offer you any recommendations for an EQ. Just need to be able to take the bass into it, then take the output into the Raven. That would let you EQ the Tascam internally and the bass using the in-line EQ. Output from the Raven would be a mix.

Wait, on further reading of you last post...does the Raven EQ internally? If so, EQ the bass using the Raven output and EQ the Tascam internally to match the sound you are looking for in the final mix of the bass and the Tascam.

I think you won't be completely happy with the end result. The Tascam has some limitations. It is intended to be training device, not a high-end sound-shaping tool.

Have fun experimenting.