1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Can you give me ideas of what to eat on a low carb diet ?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, May 29, 2007.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Can you give me ideas of what to eat on a low carb diet ? Thanks :)

2. theLimeyBrit

theLimeyBrit Used Register

Feb 3, 2006
    Longview, TX
    Steak.

3. fate

fate

Sep 17, 2006
    Arbys wraps are really good and are low carb. Same with Subway, get the wrap instead of the bread.

If you have a walmart in your area go to the deli/bakery section and they have flat pita style tortilla shell type things that are low carb. Sorry i can't describe them better than that. ( Been awhile since i dieted low carb). Get some ham, roast beef, or seomtype of meat that you like from the deli and then put them on the wrap, put shredded cheese on there then nuke it for about 20 seconds add mayo, lettuce tomatoe etc and you have a very tasty meal that is fairly cheap and is a breeze to fix.

I also cooked alot of ground beef and spiced it up and i would add shredded cheese, mayo and eat it in a bowl. Doesn't sound very appealing, but it is really good.

Get yourself a low carb vitamin as well. You will be dead tired all the time when you go low carb. It can be worth it though, i lost about 35 lbs in three months. It was wierd towards the end of my diet. I was very strict and would not cheat and i leveled off on losing weight, then i would cheat and have a bowl of ceral or something and man i would lose 5 lbs the next few days.

Best of luck to you!!!!!

4. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    I never experienced low carb tiredness, but the cereal thing is a funny idea. I had that happen to me a few times before too. I'd be stuck for a week or two, cheat and then lose weight.

What to eat:

Eggs
    Cheese (omelettes)
    Rollups: slices of ham/cheese rolled up, with mayo in the middle if you dig it
    Meatballs
    SOME salad (with an emphasis on meat, cheese and low carb dressing)
    Nuts (especially macademias, but not too many)
    Kielbasi
    Hot dogs
    Burgers sans bun
    DIET soda
    etc.

In the beginning you're going to want to avoid 'low-carb' foods, because these are typically made for people in the maintenance stage. They claim to have say 4g of impact carbs, but the 10g of other carbs are questionable

. You may also want to purchase a bottle of KetoStix, which via urinalysis will tell you if you're breaking down fat. If Atkins (or any diet) is working, you should get a positive result.

Random tip: Protein is NOT better than fat! This is a common misconception: people on Atkins will load up on ONLY protein and avoid fat AND carbs. Fat is ok.

5. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Exercise.. you can eat whatever you want and still drop.

6. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Meat. Korean BBQ is especially good. Lots of meat and you can order lettuce on the side to wrap it with. Great tasting and delicious. Ummm. Korean BBQ. I uh... (stay focused Maki :p ).... Also if you're looking for a good low carb marinade. Miso paste and mayonaise. Suggest adding a little milk or water to thin it out. No sugar, doesn't burn, and taste great (especially on chicken). Eggs are nice too. But Koreans are especially tasty... I mean, Korean BBQ. It's a nice treat. ;) :D

7. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    That would take a LOT of exercise, although it isn't such a bad thing to do WITH a diet.

8. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Would red wine be safe on this kind of diet ?

9. marcray

marcray

Nov 28, 2006
    Englishman in Oyster Bay, NY
    Aging Former Bass Player
    my wife pretty much lives the Atkins diet... a lot has been said about the health issues but like most BS stories, you have to read the book and follow it... don't believe the stories that it's all cholesterol and fat, it's not when it's done properly.

She is thin, ripped and has tons of energy...

10. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Inactive

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    Proper nutrition > Fad diets.

11. Thor

Thor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

It is safe but alcohol adds to the carb count.

I have heard cardboard is pretty decent. Plenty of fiber without
    a lot of carbs. Sawdust is ok too. Both rate right up there with low carb beer.
    ;)

12. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Inactive

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    First thing that came to my mind!

13. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Nope, just an hour and a half a day..

14. Thor

Thor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

njl, I like the way the google 'Internal Flush' ad came up after your post. :D

15. A couple pounds of bacon and a wheel of Swiss cheese.

16. FrigginChris

FrigginChris

Feb 6, 2006
    illinois
    +1 on steak.

i don't know anything about carbs but steak is soooooo good

17. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    I've lost 75lbs on this "fad diet" and i've stayed that way from about a year.

Everyone says lots of meat but 65 percent of what you eat is salads. May I suggest Ken's Steak House Creamy Caesar Dressing. (the 0 carb one)

This will also help you.
    http://www.atkinsdietbulletinboard.com/

18. :meh: I heard that this kind of diet gives you constipation and bad breath!

Anyone care to comment?

19. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

Red wine for a diet ? Definitely not a good idea. Alcohol, fat and sugar.
    What about water instead ? They come in hundreds of brands and flavors.

20. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Inactive

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    LOL. I can't believe you're serious.

65% percent of what you eat are healthy veggies and you are claiming that it's the low carbs that did it? Count up how many calories is in a salad like that compared to a steak.

Let's see. What's in a salad? How about lettuce?

http://www.thecaloriecounter.com/Foods/1100/11250/Food.aspx

Almost nothing in it. Whoop de doo.

Let's see onions. One of my favorites:

http://www.calorie-count.com/calories/item/11282.html

Also nearly nothing, but actually some carbs. I guess you should lay off...

Tomatoes:
    http://www.calorie-count.com/calories/item.php?item_id=11529&size=2

You get the idea. It's not the low carbs, it's the low calories that did it.

Even if you put some meat in there like a chicken (or steak!) salad, it still won't constitute most of your meal, so it's better than eating a whole chicken or what have you.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 24, 2021