Can you give your opinion on following cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by liquid-dream-ex, Aug 6, 2005.

1. Here's the stats:

500Watts RMS
    Housing: OSB
    Speakers: FMC Basic Line

800Watts RMS
    4 Ohm
    50-20.000 Hz
    OSB and Multiplexx housing
    Speakers: Eminence

FMC 212 Pro 2x12“ + Horn 800 Watt RMS 4 Ohm 45 – 20000 Hz 100 dB 399.-
    Same as 3 but 45-20.000 Hz
    Speakers: FMC Pro-Line

I need a cabinet for Rock. These are from a small german manufactury, all of them would be exactly in my pricerange... i could actually buy a cheap 1x15 along with those.
    Each of them is aslo available with additional 8" speaker... how will it sound different?

Would there be a problem if i run a 4 Ohm and a 8 Ohm cab together?

If you need more specs, i can email the manufacturer.
  2. Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    Of those specs..personally..I would probably ignore the frequency response because the high and low don't matter nearly as much as what happens to the stuff in the middle which no one ever tells you about......

If "birch-multiplexx" is what in America is called "Plywood"....I would much prefer a cabinet made of birch plywood than OSB.....

I have used cab's with horns and I have used cabs with speakers for the top end....if you have the option of going with an 8" speaker in addition to..or in place of.. a horn, I find a speaker to sound MUCH better and have a much better pattern of dispersion as it leaves the cabinet than a horn and will provide a much more balanced top end as you move off axis.

A 4 ohm and an 8 ohm cabinet combine to a total load of......2.6 ohms...and the 4 ohm cabinet will consume twice as much of the amps output as the 8 ohm that relates to volume balance depends on the relative efficiency of each cabinet at a given frequency. It may be may not.