1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Can you guess what wood???

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Ricky Caboverde, Dec 10, 2006.

1. Ricky Caboverde

Ricky Caboverde Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Hello,
    I just got this bass from a local guiatar tech. He built it with some help of Ray Ramirez (builder of the Bug bass) a long toime ago. Well, I saw the top and thought it was gorgeous and asked him what wood he used. He said he had no idea; that it was just lying around. I am extrememly curious of what wood this is. My guess is cocobolo (but the possibility of Braz. Rosewood is good too since I have heard that they look similar). So if anyone can tell, please let me know what top do I have here. :confused: Thanks for all your help!

By the way, for those interested, the bass is a maple body, with ? top, pau ferro fingerboard and center piece on the top, has a wenge headstock veneer and runners between the top pieces. The back of the bass looks like a wooden disaster though. The body, as mentioned, is made of maple with a center strip of Indian rosewood (3" wide), bubinga control cavity cover and back of headstock veneer, two rosewood runners on the neck for support and for some odd reason a piece of purple heart at the heel. It looks really wierd to me, with all those different grains and contrasting colors. It doesn't really compliment the front of the bass at all. Just wanted to mention that.:rollno:

2. Fliptrique

Fliptrique

Jul 22, 2002
    Szczecin, Poland
    Endorsing Artist: Mayones Guitars&Basses
    a photo would help a lot.

3. Ricky Caboverde

Feb 26, 2004
    Miami, FL
    forgot the pics. oops!

4. Ricky Caboverde

Feb 26, 2004
    Miami, FL
    and more!

5. Ricky Caboverde

Feb 26, 2004
    Miami, FL
    I'm sorry if the pics are bad. I only have a cameraphone to take pictures. I'll see if I can get a digital camera to take a better closeup.

6. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area
    Just a guess - the photos are not good enough, sorry....
    Could be walnut (from the dark stripe against the lighter wood). I've got some walnut sitting in my shop that looks similar.

7. Cerb

Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    Indiana
    Can we see this hideous back that you are talking about?

8. Kran Banger

Kran Banger

Dec 1, 2006
    im guessing its black walnut...its quite possible that its bubinga, or rosewood too, but sorry cocbolo is much lighter than that

9. Ricky Caboverde

Feb 26, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Thanks for the replies!
    I will get some better pictures to post later on.
    I know that it cannot be walnut. The pics are bad,
    but the wood is really red...walnut is a beautiful chocolate
    color. I'll get back to you guys real soon...and with some
    pics of that "hideous" back. (it's not all that bad, i guess)

10. tribal3140

tribal3140 Banned

Nov 9, 2004
    near detroit...uh
    cocobolo?
    maybe a faded rosewood like EAI?
    the red is distincitve to few woods, and with age and oil cocobolo can end up very dark like that.
    need better photos.

those pics are very hard to tell

11. If it is a darkish red it could be black cherry?

lowsound

12. Ricky Caboverde

Feb 26, 2004
    Miami, FL
  13. Cerb

Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    Indiana
    It looks like coco to me.

14. UBU

UBU

Nov 15, 2006
    NYC
    It looks like a stained black korina to me. That streak makes me think korina

15. Ricky Caboverde

Feb 26, 2004
    Miami, FL
    I hear ONE for coco!...Do I hear two...two for coco???

Black Korina..really?

16. tribal3140

tribal3140 Banned

Nov 9, 2004
    near detroit...uh
    upon closer inspection the pores are too big for cocobolo.
    I did say in the upper post it may be Ea rosewood.
    and thats my final answer!
    East indian rosewood with a sap seam.

the dark stained limba quess was brilliant though! I see exactly what you are seeing, the long streak maybe as an ambrosia hole like black limba and the large pores too.

but its either , honduran rosewood (pores too big) or EA rosewood. most likley

17. bryanjnkns

bryanjnkns

Oct 18, 2006
    Tulsa
    I agree with tribal. Its most likely the same wood as the back center, which says its IRW on the website.
    Backpics.
    BeautifulGrain.

18. Ricky Caboverde

Feb 26, 2004
    Miami, FL
    If there were a smiley that would bow down all worship-like...it'd be here:D

You guys are awesome. It is probably the Ea Rosewood since the tech did say that he might have used some Indian rosewood, but that figuring was like no Indian rosewood I had ever seen before. Guys once again, thanks so much for all your help! now, what do you think of that "hideous" back, huh? Do you think its a bit too busy? I was considering to sand the finish off and stain the maple a red mah. or dark walnut color so that the bubinga and purple heart would blend in a little better. Then I would finish it with tung oil.

19. I hereby officially and strictly prohibit you from doing anything to that bass.

That back looks fine. Carl Thompson would be proud :p

20. bryanjnkns

bryanjnkns

Oct 18, 2006
    Tulsa
    Hideous back?:eyebrow: I rather like the contrast between the woods. This is just MHO, but the one thing i don't really care for is the bridge. Those giant screws kinda throw it off for me. I would have glued the bridge on and strung it through to alleviate the need for the screws and saddle. or somehow put caps on to conseal the screws, otherwise it looks great.