Can you guestimate if I'll need a setup for this ?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Bobbadfinger, May 12, 2021.

1. Bobbadfinger

Bobbadfinger

Jan 23, 2020
    Brazil
    I have a Precision (80's japan, maple neck) perfectly setup with TI Jazz Rounds (043 051 068 089), but I'm itching to try some GHS Pressurewounds (040 054 076 096) I have in the drawer.
    Truss rod is on the body side, and I would not like to remove neck and strings after installation in case it needs adjustment (if I prefer the GHS), nor mess with TI's setup if i don't have to (tension was similar and/or to return the Tis).

Should I give it a try as is or tight the truss rod maybe a quarter turn before this string change ?

2. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    I've always been a strong believer in if-it-ain't-broke-don't-fix-it. You've got a great set of strings and a perfect setup, so unless you really dislike the strings or they're dead, just be happy and play the hell out of the bass. Sooner or later they'll need to be replaced and you can try the Pressurewounds then.

96tbird, Clank Plank and RSBBass like this.
  3. BaileyMan

BaileyMan Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2012
    San Francisco
    My vote is to try out the new strings. If the set up changes that much and you don't like it and don't have skills/time/money to adjust the neck, then throw the TIs back on there. If you like how the new strings sound, and it needs a set up, get it set up properly by a qualified tech / repair person if need be.

Or, get a second bass, which is the most logical thing to do. Just ask anyone on TB. :D

4. Bobbadfinger

Bobbadfinger

Jan 23, 2020
    Brazil
    I can take your point, but nah, I really prefer flatwound strings, which I already have on another P (Squier Matt Freeman). And my number one bass is a Longhorn, so this one with rounds is not being played the hell out of it... :laugh:

What I'm really trying to accomplish is to educate me on Pressurewounds without messing with my P with flats...

Last edited: May 12, 2021
  5. Change strings, THEN see if anything's moved. Could be that it will play perfectly with the new strings. Unless you've got a real rubber band neck, I wouldn't anticipate any big change.

PockySteve and Bobbadfinger like this.
  6. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    Well then, that requires your getting a new bass. :thumbsup:

Bobbadfinger and Lobster11 like this.
  7. Bobbadfinger

Bobbadfinger

Jan 23, 2020
    Brazil
    You know Jeff, a Rick is still on my list, even not fully understanding its utility for me...:cool:

Maybe I"ll trade one of the Ps for a Jazz Bass. Not a fan of offsets, and less yet of the kind of music a JB is associated with, but John Paul Jones's tone is what I keep searching for. Dano get me close, and flats on the P too, but even with them i didn't managed to dial out that Precision growl that bothers me some.
    I like it smooth as it can be...

8. Arie X

Arie X

Oct 19, 2015
    your gauges seem fairly even and i would expect no issues. if you want, you can run the numbers through d'adarrio's string tension calculator and compare specs.

Bobbadfinger likes this.
  9. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    My old AV '62 Jazz Bass sounded glorious with flats (TI JFs, in my case). Also, my old Stingray sounded glorious with flats (a very old set of Chromes).

Bobbadfinger likes this.
  10. Bobbadfinger

Bobbadfinger

Jan 23, 2020
    Brazil
    Loved the neck on a Stingray i played, but I'm not into active basses really.
    I"ll ask a friend to lend me his JB for a week to figure out if it's the tone I chasing after...
    I joined this forum last year, had one bass. One year later i got three, ask for a setup suggestion and end up thinking about a new one.
    This is TalkCoke. :woot:

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021