Can you guys give me some more info on this fender bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Aenima, Aug 26, 2009.

1. Aenima

Aenima

Aug 24, 2007
    St. Louis
    HI everyone,

I put up an ad on craigslist looking for a white jazz bass and that i would buy or trade for it. I recieved an email from someone yesterday saying he had a "MIJ White 1984 Fender Jazz bass" and he asked what i would trade for. I showed him my Spector Legend 4 (p/j config) and he said that he would like to trade straight up for it (he mainly plays a Rex5 if anyone is interested)

I did a search on here and i got a little information on the bass but i would like some more if you guys had any especially on some of the following

1.How are the pickups in these?
    2.Do you guys think that it would be a good trade? My spector for the fender
    3.Its got a white PG on it right now but What kind of pickguard would you guys reccomend :D (im thinking tort)
    4. Is there any definite way to tell the date? i dont have a serial number yet but it seems that sometimes theres some confusion on dating between 84'-87'

2. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    I think a picture would help a lot. The 80's MIJ fenders are solid basses though. I'm a fender guy, so I'd go for it.

3. Aenima

Aenima

Aug 24, 2007
    St. Louis
    ahh Sorry about that here are some pictures (hope they come through i am up on my work computer right now so they were giving me a little trouble)

IMG_5272.jpg

IMG_5270.jpg

Attached Files:

4. jmattis

jmattis Supporting Member

Jul 6, 2007
    Washington DC
    I'd go for it. I like it with the white guard, but torts are cool too.

edit- best way to date that bass is to get the serial number from the guy.

5. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    Tort would look hot on that bass - I'd go for the trade - play it first if you can though

6. Staccato

Staccato Low End Advocate Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2009
    Alabama
    Can you test drive the bass? Two axes don't have to be equal to be worth an straight-up trade to each person. See if it's worth it from your end upon inspection/testing.

7. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

It could be a MIJ, but most 80's MIJ Fenders that I have seen had a slightly different logo. Looks more like a MIM logo to me, but I certainly could be wrong. Ask him for a close up of the headstock.

If it is a MIJ and plays well, then you are getting a very good deal. Go over there, play it, grab it and run (and don't look back)!

Edit: looking at the photo again, maybe it is a MIJ after all. Just confirm that and then get over there before he changes his mind! You are getting the better deal out of this if it plays well and everything is functional!

8. Having owned both a Spector Legend and several Fender Jazz basses I think it depends on what type of music you play and how comfortable you want your bass to be. Personally I think the Spector body shape is hard to beat for a comfortable bass. The neck on the Jazz will be narrower though. The MIJ basses are usually very well built. If you go with the Jazz I too would opt for a tort pick guard.

9. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    It should say "Made in Japan" underneath "Jazz Bass" on the headstock...either that or on the back of the neck down by the heel.

Here's a handy chart for dating your MIJ Fender

Japanese Serial Numbers on Peghead Decal
    Note the lack of S, E, N series. These are reserved for U.S. made Fenders in their corresponding decade. BUT note that the "E" and "N" series does sometimes appear on "made in Japan" models. This could have been a mistake on Fender's part using the same prefix for both U.S. and MIJ-made guitars. In any case, if it says "made in Japan", then it is...

JV + 5 Digits = 1982 to 1984
    SQ + 5 Digits = 1983 to 1984
    E + 6 Digits = 1984 to 1987
    A + 6 Digits = 1985 to 1986
    B + 6 Digits = 1985 to 1986
    C + 6 Digits = 1985 to 1986
    F + 6 Digits = 1986 to 1987
    G + 6 Digits = 1987 to 1988
    H + 6 Digits = 1988 to 1989
    I + 6 Digits = 1989 to 1990
    J + 6 Digits = 1989 to 1990
    K + 6 Digits = 1990 to 1991
    L + 6 Digits = 1991 to 1992
    M + 6 Digits = 1992 to 1993
    N + 6 Digits = 1993 to 1994
    O + 6 Digits = 1994 to 1995
    P + 6 Digits = 1995 to 1996

10. Aenima

Aenima

Aug 24, 2007
    St. Louis

I play mostly Alt-rock/post hardcore/Alt-Punk music (thrice, senses fail, Emery, Breaking Benjamin, Rise Against)

I love my spector and your right it is one of the most confortable basses i own, but im still gassing for a Jazz bass :D i will definitly go back to spector basses in the near future though, im saving up for a green 5string euro right now

11. Aenima

Aenima

Aug 24, 2007
    St. Louis
    Thank you, that will definitly help with dating it. :bassist:

Also we are meeting up at guitar Center as soon as i get off of work so i will have a chance to try it out

12. Aenima

Aenima

Aug 24, 2007
    St. Louis
    Well went out right after work to meet up with him, really nice guy. Bass was set up almost perfectly, sounds amazing, serial number started with a c and 6 digits so somewhere between 1985 to 1986? But im in love, ill take some pics soon!

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 16, 2021