1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

can you guys help me ID this head?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by baddassbass, Sep 27, 2008.

1. OK so I am looking at 2 heads Sunday. An older Ampeg SVT and
    an SVT-VR. Any thoughts on which might be better and can you guys tell me what year this one might be?

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    I think your pic is an MTI era. (built in Japan between 81-84)

3. Are they any good and what are they worth?

4. Disregard that I guess it's not allowed to ask what they are worth.
    How about is it any good?

Rules Rules Rules!!!:spit:

5. I haven't owned an MTI era SVT but I've used them in supplied backline and I have VR. Both are great sounding amps. Different thought with better being very subjective. I'd take that MTI SVT any day.

6. Thanks for the heads up...how do I determine if it's going to be reliable?
    I haven't owned an amp head like this ever.

7. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    It's a good solid reliable head. The MTI SVT's were really good and very underrated on the vintage market. They're the best deal going in SVT's. If it's working good now, chances are it'll keep working for a good while. Tube amps are not any more or less unreliable than SS heads, especially older Ampegs. Might have to change a tube now and then, but it's a lot less frequent than non-tube people would lead you to believe. Just don't bang it around, and keep up with the small repairs, and it'll probably outlast you.

I've seen them go lower than a grand, but that's their average price on the used market more or less, depending on condition.

8. Thanks for the info...I am looking at a SVT-VR with a full extra set of groove tubes and then the MTI SVT head. There both expensive but the MTI is cheaper and comes with an anvil case. Not sure I need that but
    it comes with it. I will be playing through both and I guess I will know
    which one sounds the best after that. I currently own an SWR redhead
    with and extra avatar 2x10 cab underneath and it sounds great. It's just not enough for a big rock gig.

9. Go for the MTI! Mainly b/c it's cheaper. I really regret having sold mine. I slightly preferred the MTI the the VR I've used as backline.... granted that didn't give me much time to tweek the VR.

Really, both of these are great amps and I think you would be happy with either, but if the MTI is cheaper and includes a road case which is a very good thing to transport to gigs, it just seems the better deal.

As far as reliability, both are solid, but if the MTI is still rock solid after 25 years or so, that tells ya something!

10. well can't wait to hear what these amps sound like.
    i am bring my 4 ohm avatar b210 neo to try borh heads out. Is that good enough?

11. These will shine with sealed 8x10 or 6x10 cabs.

12. what are some good basic settings to test the MTI?

13. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Flat. Same as the VR.

14. fireincairo

fireincairo

Jul 8, 2008
    Go for the MTI and sell the SVT roadcase on here. Then the MTI will be even cheaper.

15. So I played them both and the VR sounded way better...
    warmer with some bite and the upper frets just stood out.

The MTI was nice and loud but a little on the farty side.
    One thing that confused me is the eq goes from 0 to 10
    on the MTI...

So is flat zero or 12 oclock like the VR?

either way I think the VR sounds better.

Also does having 2 4 ohm cabinets shorten the life of these heads?
    meaning running it at 2 ohms instead of 4...

Thanks for all the great input you guys rock!!!

16. No. Just make sure you set the switch accordingly.

17. fireincairo

fireincairo

Jul 8, 2008
    A minimal mismatch like that won't harm anything. For all you know, your 4 ohm cab actually reads around 3.2 ohms.

18. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Flat on all SVT's is 12:00 or 5 if it's numbered. I didn't notice that about the MTI when I used one a month ago, but that's pretty wild. And you already got an answer to the 2 ohm thing (won't boost your wattage but it will definitely give you a volume bump).

I have to think there's something wrong with the MTI, though. The one I used recently absolutely killed, and the ones I used years ago also killed. However, you can't go wrong with the VR either. Every parent company's SVT's are different in some small way, but every single one of them kill. People talk smack about the CL on here, but I never played one that didn't sound better than any other non-Ampeg.

19. OP - Ignore this. An impedance mismatch is harmful to the output transformer and power tubes.

JimmyM, yeah I agree. That doesn't describe any MTI era SVTs I've played through either. Could be just a cold bias or . . . ? But yeah, I have a VR, CL, a II and a 69. They're all great but different examples of Ampeg tube tone.

20. So the search continues for an SVT head.... I found an early 70's one for $600....
    if it's not sold yet maybe I'll get lucky! I'll bet there will be alot of cool gear coming
    up for sale in the coming weeks....sad but true, times are getting tough.
    Good luck to all of you through this mess.