1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Can you guys recommend a decent replacement bridge for a MIM Fender Jazz

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Sean775, Dec 20, 2017.

1. Sean775

Sean775

Mar 19, 2015
    New Jersey, USA
    I'm currently buying some new hardware and pickups, and I'm trying to find a new bridge. I want one that looks ok with Fender Basses, but also allows for low action. I feel like the stock Fenders aren't able to go as effectively low as other bridges I've seen.

2. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Ever consider shimming the neck? Might save you a handful of scheckles?

3. Sean775

Sean775

Mar 19, 2015
    New Jersey, USA
    I'm gonna ask the highly rated tech that I'm gonna see soon, but the guy at Guitar Center claimed it wouldn't help, even though I figured that was the issue.

Spidey2112 likes this.
  4. Sean775

Sean775

Mar 19, 2015
    New Jersey, USA
    Still, id still like to upgrade, I figure there would be other benefits as well

Spidey2112 likes this.
  5. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    You're incorrect.
    On a properly set up bass the stock bridge will lay the strings on the frets.

6. I have a badassII on my P

InnerBass likes this.
  7. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    I installed a HipShot Kickass 5 in a kit I put together, and the 'G' (possibly the 'D', as well) were now bottoming out...

... shimmed.

(Remember, it was a kit... and I really wanted to upgrade with black hardware). I say, do your best to measure (heights, especially), then take it from there as to what you want to do...

InnerBass likes this.
  8. guitarflinger

guitarflinger Not all who wander are lost Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2013
    Front Range, Colorado
    I have used Badass, Babicz, and Gotoh. They all look better than the stock bridge, but I really can't tell any sonic difference.

pappabass likes this.
  9. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

The Fendrr vintage threaded saddles are smaller diameter than the standard saddles. You can swap them in for about $20.

Willicious and digmeout like this.
  10. Sean775

Sean775

Mar 19, 2015
    New Jersey, USA
    Are those any better than the stock ones? And how?

11. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Better? No, not 'better', different. They are a smaller diameter and able to be set lower without modification than standard saddles.
    But as @lz4005 said, with a properly set up instrument, you can lay the strings on the frets, so why would you need to go any lower? Don't forget too, that as the saddle is lowered the break angle of the saddle decreases too, eventually it will become insufficient. If you want to change the bridge, change the bridge; just be honest about why you are changing it, other than a little increased lateral stability if you dig in too hard, you aren't going to realize any improvement with a new bridge,

Last edited: Dec 21, 2017
  12. EpicSoundtracks

EpicSoundtracks

Mar 10, 2006
    Oakland, CA
    Lollar Pickups, Dunlop Strings
  13. EpicSoundtracks

EpicSoundtracks

Mar 10, 2006
    Oakland, CA
    Lollar Pickups, Dunlop Strings
  14. sissy kathy

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    de1orean likes this.
  15. sissy kathy

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2017
    de1orean likes this.
  16. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Lost Wages, Nevada
    Wooden Bass Bridge 1. Uhh... ^^This^^ is about as right as you can get. I have 22 basses, with just about every conceivable kind of bridge - including one like this - and I can get the strings down onto the neck with every one of them. Except for a couple that need to be shimmed; but even they can get pretty close. Are you sure you don't want a different bridge because you just simply want one, and you're trying to justify it to yourself?:eyebrow: Don't worry; you don't have to do that. You're among friends, and we all have those feelings...:whistle:

17. Paulabass

Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    I think the OP is just saying he WANTS another bridge, or the guy at GC was a moron.
    Both are feasable.

craigie likes this.
  18. crucislancer

crucislancer Supporting Member

Dec 25, 2009
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    My Precision Deluxe Spl Ed came with this one. It's a solid bridge, and my action is quite low on that bass.

The guy at GC is wrong. I had this problem with my Geddy Lee Jazz, I could set the bass up to Fender factory spec, but couldn't go lower because the saddles on the BAII bridge were all the way down. I shimmed the neck pocket and can now lower the strings further.

19. InnerBass

InnerBass Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2014
    In the Zone
    I really like BadAss bridges on Fenders - but like chocolate and peanut butter they ain’t for everyone.

Geddy seems to like ‘em, though.

;)

20. Sean775

Sean775

Mar 19, 2015
    New Jersey, USA
    I figured. I wish I went to a real tech sooner instead of the salesman who knows how to put strings on guitars.