Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Can you have a lead bass and a rythm bass??

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Nicklas, May 15, 2003.

1. Nicklas

Nicklas

Mar 15, 2003
    you have lead guitarr and then one who play rythm couldnt you have to bass players too one who play lead basslines and they other straight notes???

2. Why not? As long as it doesn't turn into a "mudfest"...

3. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Sure. Stanley Clarke did that in the early 80's; He had a guy playing "low bass" as he called it, while Stan did the "High bass"

Miles Davis also had a lead bassist in one of his last bands before he died.

4. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i think santana may be doing it now, i could be wrong

5. lneal

lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    I did it not too long ago. Back last September, we had a blues/rock band where the singer/harp man and I would both play bass on some songs. We had it worked out so that we didn't step on each other's toes and it was very cool. Some of the songs we did it on were "Evil Ways" by Santana and "Funk #49" by James Gang (instead of a drum solo in the middle we did a bass duet) and a couple of others.

I have recorded an all bass version of "Chameleon", but it hasn't been mixed yet. It has 14 (yes fourteen!) bass tracks and 2 solos. WHEW!! Oh yea, and a killer local drummer laying down the skins. I'll try to get a buddy of mine to host it so you can check it out.

So, yes. It can and has been done. :cool:

6. mans0n

mans0n

Jun 15, 2002
    ive always thought primus needed this, i dont really like primus because to me, it sounds like they have no bassist....... because really there isnt much bottom end... sounds quite hollow

it might make the band much better!

7. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    This is Spinal Tap,
    have you heard big bottom? That song has 3 bass' on it, great song!

8. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    If McCartney never did it, it probably isn't for you.

9. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    :D

10. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    You keep asking questions like "can you do this..." - the answer, obviously is, of course you can. Do you not see, there are *no* rules here, you can do whatever you like. Instead of asking whether you can do it or not, take it as read that you can, and just think about whether you *want* to, and whether that is a sound you would dig.

11. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Wooten & Bailey

Bass Extremes

12. Trey Gunn's band had two touchstyle guitarists (Gunn and a dude named Joe, don't remember his last name) at one point, with the two trading off bass duties.

Also, on the King Crimson side project ProjeKCt Two's album Space Groove, Robert Fripp uses MIDI to play a "fretless bass" solo on guitar while Gunn holds down the low end on Warr Guitar.

13. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Ornette Coleman did the two bass thing a lot, first on Free Jazz, with Scott La Faro and Charlie Haden, and later with various people in his electric bands, such as Albert McDowell and Bruce ... I wanna say, Johnson? on Virgin Beauty.

Coltrane did it too, on Ole, I think it was.

14. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    !!!

One playing low, the other playing an octave (Or 3) higher... that would 0wnz0r.

15. Blueszilla

Blueszilla Bassist ordinaire

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    On some live stuff (Live around the World)Miles' 'lead' bassist was a guy named Foley. He was doing lead lines that sounded much like guitar work, albeit with a more muscular tone, what seemed like a lower register. It sounded very cool though; Richard Patterson and Benny Rietveld (wicked slap/pop dude!!)were the guys playing regular bass on that. Ron Carter put out a record in the '70's where he played piccolo bass and had a regular bassist doing the bottom line. It's been, so not unheard of..