Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

can you have just 1 cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by gr8estbassist, Nov 17, 2004.

1. gr8estbassist

gr8estbassist Guest

Oct 9, 2004
    South East
    hello,
    i just bought an ashdown mag300 head and so now i need a cab. i have seen that alot of people have two cabs (i guess for diff. frequency responce) but can you get away with just having one? i dont have alot of money so i was just gunna get one avatar cab.

thanks,
    zach

2. One is fine.

3. gr8estbassist

gr8estbassist Guest

Oct 9, 2004
    South East
    what would you recomend? i was thinking 2x12

4. Well I myself use a 4x10 because I play alot of punchy slap. I would like 2 try a 2x12, from what ive heard they seem great for a one cabient setup. What sort of music do you play?

5. gr8estbassist

gr8estbassist Guest

Oct 9, 2004
    South East
    well i dont slap (it takes alot of practice for it to sound right). i play rock, classic rock and alternative.

6. In that case I THINK a 2x12 would be good, but I would really advise you try before you buy as its all just a matter of personal preferences and depends on many things like your bass too.

7. Luigi

Luigi

Dec 3, 2003
    NorCal
    Just to ad, if you're considering about getting a second cab later, make sure you get a 8ohm cab now and another 8ohm later. If this is going to be your only cab go for the 4ohm version so you can use the full 300 watts from the Mag. Actually 307watts :D

8. krazy_olie

krazy_olie

May 10, 2004
    either a 115 a 410 or a 212, 212 would probably give youy a good all round sound, and is my recomendation.

9. me too and that it is a 4ohm cab.

10. Yeah get one avatar or dr. bass or used eden xlt or whatever.

But get a 4ohm model to develop that 306 watts or whatever it is.

side note:
    Actually, my experience is that bristish stuff is conservatively rated or just underrated. Most stuff just rates with a 1,000 hz test tone, not real work stuff.

11. gr8estbassist

gr8estbassist Guest

Oct 9, 2004
    South East
    thacks guys. i dont plan on getting another cab, so i will get one 4 ohm cab (2x12).