Can you have more than one cover of songs of the same band in one set?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Freaky Fender, May 2, 2004.

1. Alright. If you havn't noticed by now, I am a HUGE Smashing Pumpkins fan. And so is my band. We want to play an upcoming dance, and we have about 3 originals down. But we want to cover about 3 pumpkins songs, to fill up the setlist. Is it acceptable to have more than one cover by the same band in your set?
  2. Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    I think so...that would be cool. You can even play them back to back like a medley.
  3. Baofu

Mar 8, 2003
    A medley would be cool, and usually having more than one song by the same band is fine... but... seeing the somewhat reduced set you have, and the ratio to originals... all I can say is that I would be hesitant to do that with my band.
  4. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I would leave it at one. It keeps the novelty from wearing off.
  5. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Do bands who wrote songs that were titled the same as the name of the band count? :D

Ex. Bad Company "Six gun's out (wherne) Is our claim to fame" :D
  6. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Yep. that and the ratio thing make sense.
  7. Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    Well, personally, when I hear a band play a song from a band that is really good (like the pumpkins) I want to hear more. I get disappointed when they follow with something lame like cheap trick, or whatever :spit: A good song is good song and won't necessarily need novelty to be a success.
  8. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    go for it freaky! You know how I Feel about the pumpkins
  9. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I think you can do whatever you want. If your band collectively wants to play 3 'Pumpkin's songs, then do it. Some people will like it, and some won't. That's what having your own band is all about - Having fun and playing what you want to play.
    Zodion likes this.
  10. Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    i'de go with two.

then you can express your love without seeming wierd :p
  11. Ace123

Sep 25, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    Yeah sure, go for it. We've done a couple of phish song's in one big set before.

By the way, what pumpkins songs? They were awesome in the day.
  12. We're thinking
    Geek USA or By Starlight
    and Home
  13. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Not a problem at all.

Just to put it into perspective, on their album "Yellow Moon" The Neville Brothers did two Dylan covers from "The Times, They are-a-changing".

If the Neville Brothers can, then you surely can too.;)
  14. DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Do whatever you want, but try avoid the formula of:

a. One fast tune
    b. One slow tune
    c. One Beatles tune

Death by Annoyance for the audience, especially when punctuated by:

"We're gonna speed things up now...." or
    "We're gonna slow things down now..." or
    "Here's one from the Beatles..."

:bawl: :bawl: :bawl:

In one of my bands, we'll do three Willie Dixon tunes in a row. In another band, we'll do two AC/DC tunes followed by a medley of Tragically Hip/Metallica tunes. (It DOES work!) IN yet another band, we may throw a couple of Spinal Tap tunes in back to back.

15. andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    at the moment my band doesn't play any covers so i'm not sure how we'd handle something like that. we'd probably keep it at one per set max
  16. fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    My band does this all the time, there's nothing wrong with it. The key is doing it in a clever way. If you just play the songs people might think it's overkill, but do it in a clever medley, or order them in a clever way and it will not only work but will end up really cool.
  17. The band I am with does several Widespread Panic covers in almost every set. WE do a few Phish tunes as well. The guys I play with are younger and slow to learn new material. I am hoping to get them out of this nonsense, even though I am a big WSP myself.

I say go for it.
  18. I can't believe people don't throw stuff at you for playing WSP in TN. Most of the southern spreadheads I've met/known will hate anyone for "ruining" or "attempting to play" a WSP song. I wouldn't hate someone for playing a WSP song but I also wouldn't care how many Smashing Pumpkin songs were in someone's set either cause that would be the perfect time for me to hit the head or the road.
  19. We do the songs with alot of energy and they sound decent, but I do get very tired of playing WSP covers. We are gradually moving on to other cover songs and adding originals (although not quickly enough for me), its just that everyone in the band came together knowing Panic's music more than any other band. We get good reactions from most people in the audience, although some of my friends have asked if we are a WSP cover band. Although we have about 7-8 originals in the mix, we play so many WSP songs I can hardly deny that we are.

I like all the guys in the band alot, but if we do not start moving forward with more originals and a more diverse array of covers, I will move along to something else, and try to take the drummer and percussionist with me.
  20. SuperSluggard

Jan 2, 2004
    why not? althought personally, i wouldn't do more than two of the same band, and i'd do more original songs.