Can You Have Pickguard Made for Obscure Bass? Is It Expensive?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by MarMar, Aug 21, 2021.

1. MarMar

MarMar Inactive

Sep 9, 2020
    See title. Any recommendations on a go-to business for that sort of thing? I have a bit of GAS lately and the bass I might purchase might look better with a different color pickguard. The problem is that the bass is kind of old and obscure. Not an expensive bass so it doesn't need an expensive pickguard. I figured the materials probably don't cost much but the labor might.

2. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician
    Pickguard material prices vary widely depending on what you want. A piece large enough to make a P-bass guard can run from $25 to $40 in my area. And here shop rates for a quality shop run $60 to $75 per hour. Count on a minimum of 1 hour labour. So you custom guard is likely to cost $85 to $115. That's Canadian dollars. You can do the math.

Note - it's worthwhile to fill out your profile so TBers know where you are. Then they might be able to point you to a resource in your area.

MarMar likes this.
  3. MarMar

MarMar Inactive

Sep 9, 2020
    Yikes. I didn't expect it to cost that much. Aren't most pickguards just cheap plastic? That is all I would want except in a different color. And thanks for the info.

4. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician
    The lower end I quoted for pickguard material is a single ply white - about as cheap as they come.

MarMar likes this.
  5. MarMar

MarMar Inactive

Sep 9, 2020
    Basically, the pickguard is white, the bass is red, the fret markers look some sort of off white or gray-ish, and I was thinking it would be a little more aesthetically pleasing if the pickguard matched the fret markers. Otherwise maybe I'll just change the knobs (much cheaper it sounds like) to give it more of a coalescent feel. Something about the chrome knobs and the black pickups is throwing me off. I have black knobs I could switch in.

6. temmrich

temmrich

Jan 29, 2012
    Columbus, Ohio
    It's no big deal to cut a pickguard with a coping saw and finish it out with a file and sandpaper. Maybe do some scraping with a razor blade. If you've ever wanted to get into modding your own instruments, making a pickguard is a fairly inexpensive way to get into it. It would probably cost as much to get some cheap tools and plastic as it would to order one. Sometimes a sheet of pickguard plastic is the right size to yield two or even three pgs out of it. Worth thinking about.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2021
    MarMar and StevieMac like this.
  7. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

What is this, guess the bass brand and model without any clues?:D

Is it a state secret?

If you tell us you’ll have to kill us? :roflmao:

How about you tell us what bass you are thinking of? :eyebrow:

Anyway, this place has tons of brands covered but you can order a custom by sending a tracing or the original. Pickguards | Pickguard Planet

Last edited: Aug 22, 2021
  8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 16, 2022