Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

can you hear your horn?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by groovking, Sep 24, 2000.

1. i got this 2x10 mesa boogie diesel w, a horn in it. on the back it has off , low , high. i just got this cab used and i swear i cant hear the difference with the horn off or on , high , or low. i cant tell if the horn is working or not. i also have an swr wm 15 w a horn shutoff and i can hear a distinct difference with the horn off or on. this is an easier amp to tell on i think because the horn high stands out against the 15 inch speaker low. can you people out there tell me if you can hear any difference in a similar situation. i dont know whether to bring it back or not.... thanks,....jim

2. JimM

JimM

Jan 13, 2000
    Northern California
    Groovking,

I've played thru two almost identical Trace Elliot 2x10 plus horn combos,one with tons of treble,the other has hardly any.I've griped about it here before.My Eden 1x15 w-horn cab is somewhere in between,but I can here it.It's just not overwhelming.I think its partly because I leave the strings on a long time.

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    My Mercedes S600 has double-pane glass in it, so I can barely hear my horn at all. I wish.

4. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    If you can hear a horn, it isn't a good one (or the crossover sucks) -- there should be a smooth transition from low and midrange drivers to the highs.

That said, if you are feeding a full range signal and not cutting highs, you should hear something from the MB. Is it hissing when you're not playing -- is it getting a signal??

The SWR WM series uses a piezo horn, which quality-wise isn't going to be as smooth as a horn with a standard magnetic driver, like Eden, regular SWR line, etc. I assume the MB has a decent horn, not a piezo one.

5. bob, i seem to get no response from it at all , no hissing, no noise when switching between low and hi and off when not playing. when playing loud and hi up neck seems not to respond and when low vol and hi on the neck...still no response. even if switched while playing, no noticable difference. i even hooked a cd player up to it and switched it and no one noticed a difference. it has been the conclusion of myself and one other bassist that it isnt working......is there any real test..or have i done it

6. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    Certainly sounds like you've done what you need to -- it obviously isn't delivering any signal.

SWR and Eden use an automotive bulb in their crossovers as a safety "fuse", that will burn out if too much power is applied. I don't know about MB, but it may be worth it to unscrew the back plate, assuming the put their crossover there, to see if there is a bulb and check it for continuity.

Otherwise, the crossover itself or the horn's driver may be fried. If you find no bulb or other fusing device, and this is not new and eligible for warranty repair, you could then disconnect one wire of the horn and check it with a multimeter to see if the driver is blown. It's not hard to find and install replacement drivers with most common horns.

Good luck with it!

7. I have a Mesa 1516BE with a Celestion bullet horn.
    Like yours it has a low, off and high position and I can hear a distinctive difference at all three settings.
    I'm sure that if your one was working you would hear it.

8. thanks for all of your help people! i took the cab apart and found that the magnet on the horn had separated. thusly , no operation. this is an older mesa cab with the painted mesa logo on a flat placard, similar to the painted 400+ logo on the amp head. i found edens in it also. did mesa use edens in their older cabs??

9. I was told recently by a store that Mesa are now using Eden speakers in some of their bass Cabs, but I thought this was quite a new move. Saying that, I have both an Eden cab and an older Mesa with EV's and they're both first class.

10. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    MB's been using EVM's for a long time. I've had the 15" EVM driver that I bought from Mesa Boogie at least 10 years.

There should be a noticeable difference with the tweeter on and off. Over boost the highs and switch the tweeter...no audible change means something is not functioning correctly.

11. i solved the problem, i drove to philadelphia and picked up a new 2x10 diesel. what a difference. horn is definitly audible and the brand new cab cost me less than 150. more than a used one i just returned! thanks again guys an gals