Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Can you help a DB player ID his BG?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tbeers, Jul 14, 2005.

1. Tbeers

Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Hi from the DB side of the forums.... Sorry to bother you nice folks, but I was wondering if you could help me figure out just what my bass is. I know that must sound incredibly dumb. Anyway I'll attach a picture or two, and explain what confuses me. Recently I had to pick up the old instrument again and play a show on it. I bought some new strings (the guy at the store handed me these Bootzillas and I guess they sound fine). I took a close look at the instrument for the first time in about 8 years and realized something isn't right. It seems to have two different types of pickup and a knob that switches between them. Yet at the head of the bass it just says "Fender Precision" or whatever. So I don't know exactly what I've got here. Maybe someone here could help and just tell me what it is...? Please? Thanks!

2. Alex Wing

Alex Wing

Apr 1, 2005
    Boston, MA
    What you've got yourself there is a Fender American Deluxe Precision. Nice color, too.

3. Tbeers

Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Excellent!

Well now that I know what I have, I can start to look at ditching it and picking up a Rob Allen Mouse 30 or something that would give a closer approximation of upright tone.

4. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    There are some people around here who would like such a bass. They're pretty well thought of.

I can understand your desire for more of an upright sound, for that I have a Fender Jazz fretless that I set up high and with nylon tapewounds.

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Why would you want an upright tone? As a DB player myself, I cherish the Fender for the non-DB tone it requires. Or are you just looking for something more portable than a doghouse?

6. 7flat5

7flat5

Nov 28, 2003
    Upstate NY
    Very nice Fender, though. Some rock-n-roll Jordie White wannabe will pay you almost enough for a down payment on a Rick Turner fretless, which is what I have been GASsin over recently for the same reason.

7. It's a terrific American Deluxe P bass, and they're quite popular. It's a precision bass (notable by the neck pickup) with an added humbucker in the bridge position - plus, it's active, unlike most Fenders. You've got a cool bass on your hands, but if it's not giving you the tone you want, I guess there's no changing that.

8. Tbeers

Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    At times I love the tone. But I need something fretless... I dunno what I really want other than that.

9. Tbeers

Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    OK, well now I guess I should bring up a problem I've been having with the instrument.

Whenever the amplifier is turned on, there is an annoying buzzing noise that comes from the pickup. It gets louder and more harsh the closer i bring my fingers to the pickup, but the buzz goes away if I touch anything metal on the bass (especially if I press my finger down on the top of a knob, the buzz goes away entirely). Anyway, this extraneous noise is not only annoying me but also annoying the director of the pit orchestra I'm playing in this summer.

Is there anything I can do? Are my pickups shot? This isn't some minor, slight hiss or anything. It's more noise than I really want to deal with. And it's a new problem....

10. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Have you changed the battery recently? Also it could be a shielding problem which any luthier could fix for very little cost (less than $50). Just some thoughts.

11. Sounds more like a grounding issue to me.

BTW, Id be more than happy to take 'er off of your hands for you... 'course, Id have to come up with the cash, but hey, im good for it ;)

~Ryan

12. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Yes, it sounds like someone needs to open her up and check to make sure all the grounds are proper.

13. justateenpoet

justateenpoet Have you...killed the Venture brothers!?!?

May 14, 2005
    Connecticut
    Bwaaa...Theo Beers belongs to these forums...that's amazing.

:D

^ Billy Pig Face