Can you help guide me? (warning, long post)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JACink, Dec 12, 2014.

1. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    First I will give some background, apologies in advance for the length (skip straight to the bold sentence if you prefer).

Recently I posted a thread about using an EAW sub and PA speaker driven by a Crest CA6 as my rig, and after playing around with it, I finally found the correct settings to get it to sound as I like it. Although the sub has a built in crossover, with a through connection for the mids and highs, the hi´s couldn´t keep up with the lows, so I have to run it through a DSP acting as a crossover (just because I have a couple of DSP´s lying around) and use both channels of the amp, with the crossover point at 85Hz.

My idea for this setup was to allow me to keep one of these in the living room, and another one at rehearsal, giving me the same set up at both places, without lugging gear around. I also have a GK MB112 in my music room for quick noodling and practicing.

Unfortunately this did not work out, as the reaction of my other half to a 15" sub, a PA cab, and a small rack in the living room was not good! :D

So I moved this into the music room, with the intention of moving it to the living room just when I want to practice. That idea sucks! The set up is a huge pain to move, and also takes up a huge ammount of space in my small music room. I tried using it in the music room, thinking I could just loose the GK, but even at volume 1 it shakes everything in the room!

Adding to this, I just started rehearsing with another band, well 1 drummer and 1 guitarist, and the rehearsal space is on a porch, so basically open air. The poor MB112 could not keep up. Even on full, with the combo on a chair, I could hear it but the drummer and guitarist couldn't.

So... after all this (unneeded?) info, here is what I am looking for:

Lightweight: I would like to find a set up that would allow me to move it around without to much hassle. It doesn't need to be a micro rig, but definately not the weight I am dealing with now!

Size: Again, it doesn't need to be micro, but I would like to be able to fit this in my music room. I think something like a 212 would be the max.

Transparency: The reason I have been using the PA setup is because I also use ableton live, launching drum tracks, loops, and playing other instruments on the keyboard etc. My bass always runs through a B3, which I use to simulate amps and cabs (plus effects). I have my music room set up for this already, but when I leave the room to rehearse in other places, I need to be able to reproduce these accurately. (I also play 5 strings and 4 strings, the 5er is mainly for Hip Hop, Reggae and Dance, so I do use the low B).

Loudness: I will need this to be able to keep up with a heavy handed drummer, and a pretty loud guitarist, but I do not need to be able to fill an auditorium with this,as we have our own PA system if any of the venues don't provide it. It would also replace my GK in my music room, so I don't want something that I need to drive hard for it to sound good!

Price: I think that if I sell some stuff, I could probably raise about 1000 € for the cab (so basically around $1000 in the US due to the price differences).

Amp: I have a CA6 and a QSC CX302 at the moment, which I am happy with, except for the weight, so if I got rid of these, it would be to go for something lighter, but obviously capable of doing the above.

Options: I am looking at the Barefaced and Fearful cabinets. Unfortunately, the Fearful are only available from a UK builder, who offers them in 15mm birch at the moment, and does not offer the drivers, crossovers, etc. I don't think I could (or want to) find the time to build this. Barefaced is an option (that I should probably research on Basschat, but I like being bashed by TBers ;) ) but I am unsure if the Big Baby 2 would be enough, and the Big Twin 2 is out of the price range.

So.. am I asking for the impossible? Are there any other options that would fit my needs? Should I just keep going the PA route?

HEEEEELP? (please) :hyper:

note: Used is not really an option where I live.

2. You are wrong about the greenboy designs. They are available in the UK as a finished product. Tricky Audio could build you a F115 that would meet all your criteria.

JACink likes this.
  3. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    Thanks @CL400Peavey (as always)!

I have been looking at the tricky audio site, has anyone had any experience with them? I mean, no offence to anyone at tricky audio, but the website doesn't have a lot of info (except for links to Greenboy sites etc.). I suppose I should get in touch with them regarding shipping prices etc.

You mention the F115, but do you think the F112 would be sufficient?

I have just spent the last few hours looking at as many greenboy and barefaced threads as possible, and was also interested in the Crazy 88's. I was thinking that maybe I could get rid of everything I currently have in my music room, replace them with a couple of Crazy 88's and a smaller sub than I have at the moment. This way I could use the same speakers for monitoring as for when I play out/rehearse etc. Good/Bad/Terrible idea?

4. Guy Trigg has posted some great looking builds on the Tricky Audio FB page. If I was in the UK, I would order from him.

Per the F112 vs F115, I think the better bang for the buck is with the F115. The F112 is an impressive cab, and can handle a lot, but the F115 will get you more, for not much more money. The F212 is really the sweet spot in the line up, but may be bigger than you want to go, and may not work in your budget.

The Crazy 8's and 88's are nice little cabs, but they are not going to give you all the low end presence that a fEARless or fEARful cab will.

JACink likes this.
  5. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    Ok, thanks again.

I will get in touch with Tricky to see how much shipping may be on the cab. The F115 and F112 are the same price on their web, so it was basically just a question of space.

Then I need to start working out what I can sell easily here to raise the cash!

CL400Peavey likes this.
  6. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

In the UK there is always Alex at Barefaced. :)

7. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    Yes, I am also looking at them. I was asking in the Barefaced thread earlier if a Big Baby 2 might be capable of doing what I ask.

A Big Baby 2 is approximately 130€ cheaper than the F115 or F112. The Big Twin is out of my budget.

8. You can run the crossover higher on your biamp rig to get more out of the PA cab.

One little stack to rule them all? Keep the sub for when you need serious beef and upgrade the top cab to a small high performance one that can handle rehearsals.

9. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    I played around for a few hours with crossover points, and 85Hz was where I found the best point between the two.

I don't need anymore from the PA cab, actually it is far too loud for the small room that I have it in.

I will be trying this setup at my next "porch" rehearsal, where I will be able to give it some more "oomph" and then get a good feel for this set up in a live situation (although it is very similar to the live setup I use now, a sub and 2 PA cabs).

10. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
  11. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    Thanks @Coolhandjjl, they were the ones that I was speaking about in my OP. Unfortunately they only offer 15mm birch at the moment, and no drivers or crossovers.

12. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    Can you build one yourself? The original fEARful line has plans available, and there are overseas sources for parts listed in some of the posts if you search them.

13. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    I could, I mean, I like to think I could, I have most of the necessary tools which I am not afraid to use, but I don't think I could find the time.

I have been living in my current apartment for over a year, and still haven't finished some of the stuff, so I guess that a cab would loose in the prority race.