Can you help me being happy with my bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by liquid-dream-ex, Nov 18, 2005.

1. So, i bought a Peavey Preci-Copy, and i'm just not really happy with it. I played an SX-P before and it was so much better.

Here's what i already modded: Changed the PU to a Di-Marzio one.
    Tried everything to get to a good set-up (it still buzzes in two spots, i should try and give the frets some work).
    Put on Flatwounds (d'addario Chromes).
    Added a string-tree which covers A-D-G.

Now, the bass has mainly two problems... uneven sounding notes.

The first 5 positions on the a-string sound almost fatter than on the e-string, while position 6,7 and 8 sound pretty thin.

It doesn't have enough Sustain... the body doesn't vibrate nearly as well as the sx did or the Yamaha.

Is there anything i can still try to do? Or is it simply firewood?
  2. Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Think about this: is the amount of money you put into modding this bass close or equivalent to the amount of money you could have used on a better bass or a down payment on a better bass?

There are some entry level basses that are worth sinking time and money into hotrodding. But others are just piles of poop and no matter how much you trick them out, you still have a pile of poop as the core.
  3. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Don't dump any more $$$ in it. Some basses are great and just have lesser hardware that hampers their tone....these can be helped by new pickups and other hardware upgrades...

...Others are hopeless money pits that you're never gonna get over on.
  4. +1

Don't put more money in a dog like that. It sounds like it's meant to be a beginner bass.

If the tone is uneven around the fingerboard, you might need a truss rod adjustment because there's too much relief in the neck. Or you could just have a cheap fingerboard with lots of dead spots.

Save up your money man! There are SO MANY nicer basses out on the market that would bring you pleasure.
  5. Take some time and decide what you really want, then get it. It may take you a while to save for what you want, but I believe it's well worth it in the long run.

I used to be a "mod-your-bass," kind of guy, then I bought a Stingray, and it leaves me wanting for nothing. Heaven right off the rack. ;)

6. Wisdom for you -

Happiness is fleeting - you will never be happy with your bass - oh sure, when you get it you will, but soon you will find a flaw, for all things are flawed.

Then again, if you paid $150 and it's an absolute piece of crap, it will keep you warm if you'd like to have a bonfire on a cold November night....and then it will make you happy again....