Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Can you help me find the amp I seek? (match with Bag End)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by KataPolt, Nov 16, 2004.

1. KataPolt

KataPolt

Aug 4, 2004
    Good morning talkbass,

I hope you can give me some good suggestions :)

I was shopping and saw a used Bag End cabinet with a 15 inch speaker for a great price. I played it, and it sounded excellent in the store, so I bought it. Maybe you can call this an 'impulse buy', but I have heard so many good things about them. And after I tried it myself, I agree. I am considering to buy another Bag End 15 cabinet to make a pair.

I hope to get some good suggestions for the right bass amp to use with up to 2 Bag End cabinets. The cabinets are 8 ohm, so both can be used for a 4 ohm power rating.

Size: I would like for this amp to be around 35 pounds or less, not 'too large' - I know this is not specific. I will try more: to be able to fit on top of or on side of 1 Bag End cabinet without being too large. I am small, so I do not want to carry something over 40 pounds or too big. One thing I also love about the Bag End cabinets is that they are quite small for 15 inch speaker cabinets, and I can carry one myself, which is a new experience for me with bass gear! :hyper: I do not need for it to be so small and tiny as a cigar box like a Walter Woods (which I do not have the money for :) ), but something not big, either.

Tone: I want as 'warm' of a tone as possible. I am very much a 'plug and play' type bassist. Of course I try to eq my amp to match the room I am playing in, but I do not need any advanced or fancy features. I do not need a compressor (but if an amp has one, maybe I would use it?), I do not need footswitches, etc. I prefer to have an amp which has a simple eq system, rather than a very complex one. I am not very sophisticated when it comes to gear, and therefore, the less difficult it is to find a good tone, the better! Of course I would love to have a tube amp sound and tone in a smaller box :) I have already tried the Traynor bass amp and did not like the tone much. I also do not think it matches well with 2 Bag End cabinets - underpower. I play through an SVT-CL sometimes which is great, but I am now looking for an amp to match the Bag End Cabinet (and the 2nd that I will buy soon).

Power: I have not used the Bag End in a band situation yet, and do not know how much power I need. I think I should have at least 250/300 watts at 8ohms, but this power rating can be different for different amps, I think.

Price: Maybe around $800 or so?

I hope you can give me some good suggestions. Please let me know if I need to be more specific. I have a couple of ideas, but I know there is much more out there, and I would like to hear all your ideas. Especially because I am not so experienced! :oops:

Thank you very much for your help. :)

(edit - bad spelling and grammar)

2. go aguilar GS 410 dude it there really nice and like 800 or try the aguilar GS 2 12 like 669 on music123 they rock too

3. KataPolt

KataPolt

Aug 4, 2004
    Thank you for trying to help,

Are these not cabinets? Please let me know if I am mistaken, but I have a cabinet already and am planning for the 2nd, as I already said. I am only looking for an amp to match with them, based upon my wants I wrote above.

4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I ran a Bagend S15 and a S12 for a long time with a AMP BH-260 (little brother of the model the Thunderfunk is copied from). Plenty of power and warmth. If I was looking for a light weight, warm head.... the Thunderfunk or AI Focus is what I'd look for.

5. KataPolt

KataPolt

Aug 4, 2004
    Thank you very much, James - perfect that you have experience with them!

Thunderfunk or AI Focus...I have not seen or heard either of these amps. Can you please tell me more about them, and compare them? How do they compare with tone, size, price? Any details - thank you so much :)

6. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    welcome to the bag end family
    i've used my 15 with a variety of heads with other cabinets and by itself
    bag end cabinets can take a LOT of power as long as you're careful not to overdrive them. They are very conservatively rated at 200 watts, but the 800 watt peak is about right (for peaks, not all the time!!)
    i found an eden wt-400 to a bit too quiet running about 260 watts into the 8 ohm bag end 15. I would advise going for something that can put around 400 watts into an 8 ohm load
    if i use my s15 alone i usually use a stewart 2.1 power amp either by running 400 watts out of one side or bridging the amp and giving it about 1300 watts. Either way is loud enough and fine as long as i dont crank it and fry the speaker. :p I used an alembic, and now use a demeter preamp, and both were pretty darned warm. There are lots of great preamps out there. The QSC PLX series of poweramps are also lightweight and powerful. They are also much more available and while i liek the stewart, a lot of us have been experiencing amp failures as of late. :rolleyes: If you go the preamp/lightweight poweramp route that will be over your budget and probably run about 40 pounds or so with a rack.
    You might want to see if you can score a used eden wt-800. They are nice and warm and you can bridge them for an 800 watt source of power into your 8 ohm cabinet. The swr sm-900 would be another choice, but "warm" isn't something i'd associate with SWR. Both run about 800 bucks used.

ok that was long. :rolleyes: but my point is that you should try to get a head that can give you 400+ watts at 8 ohms. That will really let your s-15 work hard for you and sound great.

7. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    http://www.acousticimg.com/products/prod_focus.html

600 watts into 4-ohm minimum load
    300 Watts into 8 ohms
    4lbs
    $1200

http://www.thunderfunk.com/TFB420.html

400-watts RMS into 4 Ohms
    240 watts into 8 ohms
    15lbs
    $900

I've not tried either, but by the things I've read and heard that is what I'd look to. I like tube warmth... and when my 120lbs tube head is too much to drag around I'll be sporting one of these 2 (the Focus w/reverb is my first choice by a very slim margin).

8. playmybass

playmybass

Mar 28, 2004
    Tucson, Az
  9. KataPolt

KataPolt

Aug 4, 2004
    Possibilities:

Eden WT-800
    Thunderfunk

The Acoustic Image amp is above my price range, unfortunately. :(

The Eden is in my price range, so I will have to hear more details and listen to the basstasters sounds tonight.

The Thunderfunk also is in my price range, and seems like it would be perfect - except that the power rating is so low. 240 watts or so at 8ohms, and 400 watts at 4ohms. Am I thinking too much about this? Would this be enough power, or would this be very limited?

10. Nightbass

Nightbass

May 1, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Bag End, eh?

For many years practically everyone who worked at BassNW (including the owners) was using an Ashdown ABM-500/900 head with a pair of Bag End S-15D cabs. I had the same rig and it was one of my all-time favorites. If it is warm you want, Ashdown has it, and there is not a bad tone at all in the head, making it truly plug-and-play.

Newer products that I like are the EA iAmp-800 and Eden WT-550. If you can find a used iAmp-800, I think you'd be all set. I tried the Thunderfunk but between the two, I liked the iAmp better. The T-Funk has a wonderful sound, but power is a little on the weak side. The iAmp 800 is the dog's bawls.

Someday I'm going to get one of my own. :)

11. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Try your SVTCL through your Bag End 15. If you like it and want to keep a similar tone but less weight, try an SVPCL pre amp with a power amp. That's what i'm using and it sounds great with my Bag End cabs. A new SVPCL is $500 and you can get a 1000 watt carvin power amp for $325. BTW any amp that is rack mountable will only hang over the edge of your bag end cab by 1/2 inch and will not look weird at all. See....[​IMG]

12. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    I'm using a Ampeg PortaBass 250 head with a pair of BagEnd S15-D cabs. This combination is working great in both of the bands that I play in.

13. KataPolt

KataPolt

Aug 4, 2004
    Ashdown, hm? I have heard one once in a shop, and sounded really good. I'm not sure the subharmonic effect would be useful to me, but that is a very good suggestion. What made you decide to be rid of yours and get a different amp?

Am I wrong thinking the iAmp800 is a very clean and hi-fi sound, and not very warm?

14. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    I've owned the Bag End/Thunderfunk combination and it's very hard to beat. Highly recommend it!! :bassist:

15. KataPolt

KataPolt

Aug 4, 2004
    Thank you for contributing!

My fear is that it would not be enough power in the long run to match well with the Bag Ends? :confused:

16. NeedMoreBass

Feb 14, 2003
    Not to worry, has plenty of power. You might also consider the GK 1001RB-II. 700 watts, $650 new.

17. KataPolt

KataPolt

Aug 4, 2004
    Hmm...if the Thunderfunks have plenty of power to match up well with the Bag Ends, then I guess I do not understand much about power and efficency at all :(

No thanks to the GK. Those are not nearly as warm as I prefer. :oops:

Thunderfunk
    Ashdown
    Eden ...

18. NeedMoreBass

Feb 14, 2003
    Hmmmm.... If the GK is not warm enough then maybe you should pass on the Thunderfunk also.

19. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I'm quite happy with how my Eden WT-550 worked out with my pair of S15-Ds... I don't even look at other heads anymore.

20. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i'll have to say, if you're going to always run two 15's that's a great setup. My backup amp is an eden wt-400 and with a bag end 15 and bag end 12 it covers 90% of the gigs unless i need to be super super loud. With two 15's i think i wouldnt need the extra watts as the 15 is a tiny bit louder than the 12

seeing as we're posting pictures now........... :p

[​IMG]