Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Can you help me identify my bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Adrian Cho, Oct 8, 2004.

1. Adrian Cho

Adrian Cho Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    The guy who sold me my most recent purchase is adamant that it is an Italian bass - not only an Italian style but made in Italy. My teacher thought it was English especially because of the shoulders. I am in Manchester, NH at the moment at Jim Stinnett's Jazz Bass Workout (which I highly recommend) and he swears it's a Hawkes Panormo copy - by that I mean a copy of Hawkes which was itself a copy of a Panormo. I believe he previously had one (that or a real Hawkes Panormo).

I was wondering if anybody might care to speculate:

Here's some pics of my bass:

http://www.adriancho.com/ItalianFront.jpg
    http://www.adriancho.com/ItalianBack.jpg

and here's some pics of a Hawkes:

http://www.contrabass.co.uk/2569.htm

I know Vinceno Panormo was Italian but moved to England (and I believe is classified in the Elgar books as an English maker). I guess the question is whether the basic shape of a bass like this is of Italian or English origin.

Thanks

Adrian

2. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I am pretty positive that it is a Panormo copy. It is not a Hawkes. I think a few people would say it is Italian(including Heinls) because of the double purfling which is rarely used outside of that school.

3. Adrian Cho

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    I know it's not a Hawkes which is why I said a copy of a Hawkes (Panormo). Although I guess I also wonder then what is the difference between a copy of a Hawkes (Panormo) and a copy of a Panormo.

4. I would say that it's not an old bass by the look of things (or it's been striped back and re finished) and that it is a design that is not unlike the English school. (looks a bit like a Hawkes (Panormo)or a Fent.All very good bass's BTW).

But the important thing is do you feel it's worth the money? Are you happy with it? I've played a beautifull looking Bass that was a modern Italian and I could not get a sound out of the Blimin thing!!!!

It's interesting our preception of an instrument isn't it? As RayCharles said "It's the sound that counts Baby!"

Good luck with it

Steve

5. Adrian Cho

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    I know it is definitely not an old bass. In fact I was pretty sure from the outset when I bought it that it was not as old the seller thought it was. He and a well-known shop in Toronto were suggesting it was 1960s or 1970s (which you would not classify at all as being old). I in fact think it is even younger than that and my luthier agrees.

The pedigree or the origin has nothing to do with why I bought it. I'm more than happy with it especially for the money I paid for it. I bought it for how it sounds and plays. The seller was adamant that it was not only Italian in style but made in Italy - why I don't know. I just thought it interesting when Jim Stinnett mentioned the Hawkes name which is an English name (used in the context of copies of basses made by an Italian or English maker depending on which way you look at it) and it made me remember my teacher making the "it looks English" comment.

6. This is just a thought (that's sprung from Adrians request)but may be we should collect a whole heap of information on Modern Bass builders ? Just surfing TalkBass I have found a number of interesting sites would it be a good idea to start a list of modern makers and info relating to them sort of our own database?

7. Heifetzbass

Heifetzbass Commercial User

Feb 6, 2004
    Upstate, SC
    Owner, Gencarelli Bass Works and Fine String Instruments, LLC.
    Kinda reminds me of a Solano bass... Not saying he made it, but I have seen his "panormo" model, and the finish reminds me of his work.

FWIW,
    Brian