Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Can you help me identify this bass body?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tonedeaf, Jan 31, 2003.

1. tonedeaf

tonedeaf Supporting Member

[​IMG]

Someone gave me this body and the accompanying electronics; one sort of j-style pickup, but as tall as half a p-pickup (I guess it would be the size of a p-pickup that wasn't cut in half), and volume and tone pots & knobs.

I put the electronics in a Squier P-Bass body, which I've been using on and off for about 5 years; great sort of growly J-like tone.

I never have been able to figure out who made the body originally, and I was wondering if anyone could tell me just by looking.

I can tell you this; it's made for a short-scale neck. I put a P-bass neck on it, and had to drill new holes for the bridge to get even close to proper intonation, and even with the bridge moved back I had to tighten the screws until the springs wouldn't compress any more.

I'm thinking about putting this on the "stuff you dont' need" thread, but just to satisfy my curiosity I'd like to know what it is first. Any ideas?

2. tonedeaf

[​IMG]

This might help; here for comparison is what it looks like next to an MIM Standard Jazz Bass.

3. Aristotle

Aristotle

May 12, 2002
    Easton, MD
    My moderately educated guess would point toward Alder. I have an alder bodied Fernandes Tremor, and when a piece of the finish was scraped off, the wood looked extremely similar to the bare parts of the body on those pictures. So probably Alder.

4. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    I'd believe that is a Peavey Fury bass. Im quite sure actually. Let me go look....

5. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
  6. tonedeaf

AN,
    Thanks for the accurate ID. I knew one of you guys would know :cool:

7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member