1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Can you help me make some sense of our hodge-podge setup?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Noshtero, Apr 22, 2009.

1. Noshtero

Noshtero Supporting Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    OK... so we have a raggle taggle band put together, and it sounds like muddy mush. Here's what we have.

An old school 14 track mixer.
    A PA amp pushing 1200 watts
    2 15" Peavy Black Widows
    2 12" Peavys of some other sort.
    A bass half stack with a GK Backline 600 and a GLX410
    A Line 6 Spider III guitar combo with 2x10 and 120 watts
    A Swart AST HEAD MKII all tube pushing 20 watts into a 1x12
    A drum kit with no mics

For our last "show" we ran the vocals direct to the PA. Mic'd both guitar combos into the PA. Ran the bass completely separate on it's own half stack. Ran the drums completely un-mic'd.

We used the 2 15"ers as PA speakers for the audience, and the 2 12"ers as monitors for the band. Since the guitar combos were going as well, it was really just to hear the vocals.

I'm sure this isn't how you're supposed to do it. What should we do?

2. dbassman59

dbassman59

Dec 19, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    Sounds like you have good gear ... try mic'ing the kick and DI your bass ....

Who mixes your sound? I assume the band does. Is anyone wireless? If so can they walk into the audience and listen to what needs to be balanced?

Do you have a friend who can or can be trained to do sound? If so get a snake and let him mix in the audience.

Can the drummer hear the monitors? If not you may have to get something for him....

3. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    What other drivers, besides the the 15"s and 12"s, do you have in the Peavey cabs?

I applaud your efforts. Give the project a little thought and you could well end up with a really nice sounding PA for low dough.

Riis

4. Noshtero

Dec 2, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    I'm asking the PA owner what else is in those Peavey cabs, but I think they're single driver loud speakers. Not sure.

The band mixes our own sound. The singer and ryhthm guitar are on wireless, so they tend to do the eq'ing

If I DI my bass, are you then saying to skip my amp and cab altogether? I don't think my cab can pull sub duty on the PA since it's a 4x10, so it wouldn't be used at all then.

Do we need a full drum mic kit? Or just the kick drum?

5. It sounds like you are set up correctly with what you have. You could definitely benefit by micing at least the kick and snare. If you have more channels add the hat and toms.

As far as the muddy mush, part of it is probably your bass. Remove some lows and boost the low mids a bit. Also, look for a low cut button on the mixer channels. Use this for all the vocal channels for sure and it will remove low end rumble.

6. Zooberwerx

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    First things first...

Check on the cab specs / drivers, model # if possible. If its a single 15" with no addt'l horns, tweeters, etc, it may be less than suitable as as full-range main enclosure. Check on the 12"s while you're at it.

No sense in dissecting the other components...yet.

Riis

7. Noshtero

Dec 2, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    I'll see everything in person at practice tomorrow. I'll write down the specs and model #s of everything we have.

Thanks!

8. Zooberwerx

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Good show! You could very well have a perfectly acceptable feed from the board (does it have a headphone jack?) but, if its dumped into less-than-suitable cabs, you can end up with sonic "mush".

We'll look forward to seeing the results from your investigation.

Riis

9. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

No. A DI will allow you to have a signal going to the PA and a signal going to your amp if you use a separate DI box. If you use the XLR out on your amp, all it's doing is feeding a line to the PA. You can still use your amp.