1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Can you ID this AMPEG tube amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dominic54321, Mar 5, 2008.

1. I was sent a picture of this amp, but I'm not sure exactly what it is, as I"m a noob with vintage gear. The owner wants to trade me for my NV215 that I currently have for sale. He said it's about 40 years old. What do you think this would go for on the market? Is it worth trading for an NV215? Thanks. Any help would be appreciated.

IMG_0149.

2. Jazzman

Jazzman

Nov 26, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    It is a pre-1968 B-15N/B-12N or similar.

3. Gnosticbass

Gnosticbass

Dec 24, 2006
    USA
    It looks like an Ampeg B-15 flip top. IF my memory serves me correctly its 100watts all tube 1x15 combo. If its in decent shape its worth getting if for no other reason other then to resell it on the used market. B-15's can be worth a fair amout provided they are in good shape. Good luck

4. thanks, here's a few more pics...

IMG_0154.
    IMG_0153.

5. Jazzman

Jazzman

Nov 26, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    That head alone isn't worth as much as your NV215. You could end up sinking a few hundred into repairing it, and then it would still only be worth ~$800 max. I wouldn't do it...even though it is a great "head."

FWIW, it is a 30W amp.

6. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    Actually, it's closer to 25-30 watts. This looks like one with a solid state rectifier, which means it could be from around 62-63 or after 66 until they went with SVT-like styling. IMHO, this is not the desirable B-15N. The desirable one has a 5AR4 tube rectifier. This one will have a bit of a tighter sound than the one with the 5AR4 and a slight bit of extra power, but the tube rectifier makes it sound more tubey.

Would I trade for an NV-215? I doubt it. I love B-15's, but I think on its own with no cab, a B-15N like that would be about $600. Looks like it's had a new transformer installed, too.

7. edbass

edbass

Nov 8, 2004
    What are those output tubes? They look like 6L6's, maybe 7027's; It's probably 30ish watts. It looks like octal preamp tubes (6SN7?, 6SL7?), but I can't see a rectifier in those pics.
    I'm no Portaflex expert, but I can't imagine it's gonna go down in value!

8. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    6L6's. It won't go down in value, but it's not the model of B-15N that's the most well-liked.

9. Yeah, I'm going to try and find out a little more about this puppy from it's owner. He's 60 years old, and really doesn't want it because of the weight. He's had it for many many years, and it's just been sitting for the past 3-4 years. He did mention that it works flawlessly? Guess I'll have to check it out for myself.

10. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    Looking at those pics, I realize I made a mistake. The solid state rec was only used in B-15's from 62-64. So it has to be from that time frame.

I do still stand by my original assessment that it's not worth the Berg cab.

11. do you get the original cab with it?

i love my 65 B-15N, great thick meaty thumpy tubey sound. Works great in the studio too:)

12. detracti

detracti

May 5, 2006
    Seattle
    My instructor had one of those. It was way cool!