Can you ID this bass: Fred Hammond 1986-1987

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SpankBazz, Nov 23, 2022 at 6:18 PM.

1. SpankBazz

SpankBazz

Wednesday
    Fred started with the Ibanez Musician bass.
    Then he started alternating with the Ibanez and this bass before retiring them both in favor of his Ken Smith.
    I'm usually good at identifying basses but this one has me stumped.
    Anyone know what kinda bass this is?
    fredbass.jpg fredbass2.PNG fredbass3.png fredbass4.png fredbass5.png

shojii likes this.
  2. LadyLoveStingRay5

LadyLoveStingRay5 Supporting Member

Jul 17, 2004
    Fred started out on a PBass that his mom bought and paid on for years. Then He went to the Ibanez followed by a Red MusicMan StingRay, Tobias , then a Ken Smith. He now plays Bass Mods and has a signature Jazz 5.

The bass in the photo looks like a Fender jazz bass ash body with a pbass pickup in the neck position. Looks like a crazy huge square was routed out where the PBass pickup is located.

Fred recently repurchased a PBass in memory of that first PBass that he had.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2022 at 6:57 PM
  3. SpankBazz

SpankBazz

Wednesday
    I heard him discuss that in his interview with Questlove.
    He said it was a blonde P like AWB had. This might be the bass he was referencing.
    awb.PNG
    When I say started, I mean the bass he was playing when he became a public figure as a recording artist.
    Are there any pictures of him with the Stingray and the Tobias during the time the original line up of Commissioned was together (1985-1990)?

LadyLoveStingRay5 likes this.
  4. Sharko

Sharko

Jun 18, 2009
    Washington, DC
    How is it not a fender jazz bass with a big hole in it?

5. SpankBazz

SpankBazz

Wednesday
    This is how the bass sounds:

Reggiep and Dr. Cheese like this.
  6. SpankBazz

SpankBazz

Wednesday
    I wanna say it's a Jazz that somebody jammed a PJ pickup configuration into and used black plates to hide the holes.
    But I've never seen a Fender Jazz with that kind of woodgrain, paint job, or control plate
    Cant say for sure.

Hectobar and BigJohnAZ like this.
  7. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    The headstock definitely says Fender on it. My guess is it's a Jazz that's been super modified.

8. LadyLoveStingRay5

Jul 17, 2004
    There is a video of Fred with the StingRay but I can’t remember which one. It is on YouTube . It’s him with Commissioned.

SpankBazz likes this.
  9. Rib 13

Rib 13 Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2006
    Home
    Fender neck...rest is a parts bass: some
    J body (reminds me of a Warmoth but could be a lot of things) originally for two J pickups but re-routed to accomodate an EMG PJ set

10. lowfreqgeek

lowfreqgeek

Mar 15, 2010
    Tijeras, NM
    Looks like a Warmoth Dinky Jazz body. It's very 80's Sadowsky-ish, which at that time Roger was using the Dinky Jazz bodies, I believe. Or the Dinky Jazz came from their work with Sadowsky on the down-sized J-body, but they've been available as a Warmoth product forever.

SpankBazz likes this.
  11. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Probably a Schecter J body from the 80's. I dont see any pickguard screw holes. Back then Schecter made replacment Fender body and neck parts.

12. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    It just looks like a Jazz that was butchered with that big square cut in it for the split pickup. I remember when I was in grad school at Michigan State in the 1980’s, my late best friend’s future wife (also departed) was a huge Commissioned fan, as was her friend, who I dated for a while also. At that time, I had zero interest in Gospel. Little did I know that I would eventually become a Fred Hammond fan, and I would spend most of the last thirty years playing in church.

SpankBazz, gebass6 and lowfreqgeek like this.
  13. LadyLoveStingRay5

Jul 17, 2004
    I’ve been searching for a few months. I wish I could find that video of after with the StingRay. I thought I posted here on forum his past spring or summer.

SpankBazz likes this.
  14. After hearing the sound of a 5-string bass way back when, I picked one up and never looked back. It was because of these three guys, in this order...

Gerald Albright (yes, the sax player, who is a fantastic bassist as well)
    Fred Hammond
    Tony Levin

15. A chopped-up, 80s parts/Fender. Typical of the era. Cramming EMGs into everything was popular. Many a Yamaha BB was destroyed this way lol.

16. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    :D:D:D:D

17. A mutt for sure. Fender neck, aftermarket body and electronics, Badass II bridge, custom made plates... What else could it be? You can do this, too, instead of spending $6200 for a forty-year-old StingRay.

SpankBazz likes this.
  18. My 40-year-old StingRay is pretty nice though. Maybe not $6200 though.

SpankBazz and jamro217 like this.
  19. This was referring to a recent post asking whether or not to buy a $6200 StingRay. Thought it fit in here. Nothing against Rays, but $6200 is pretty steep.

SpankBazz likes this.
  20. SpankBazz

SpankBazz

Wednesday
    Gerald did double duty on Anita Baker's Rapture tour. Surprised me when I first saw this video
    You can see him switch instruments at 3:02

gforcemusic likes this.