Can you identify the bass on this track by it's sound?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Keef, Oct 22, 2005.

1. Keef

Jul 3, 2003
    Hollywood, CA
    I love the sound of this bass but have no way to identify it. I recorded this piece of music from a DVD, it's on the soundtrack of a movie. As the movie is Japanese, I can't even check the credits to find the name of the track.

Is it a Precision with flatwounds? The recording sounds Fender-y, but quite unlike my Jazz with roundwounds.

(This is just a snippet, it was the cleanest section I could find without dialogue over the music. The link is to an mp3 file, and it's only 150k in size and 12 seconds long)

~ Keef

2. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    It's tough for me to pick it off; at first it sounds like a Jazz, further in, it sounds like a Precision. It also sounds as if a horn is doubling the bass line. Whatever it is, I like the sound of it.
  3. nemo

Mar 19, 2004
    Sounds P to me. But the horns playing unison with bass does not help it.. Have you other cut?
  4. i dunno, sounds kinda jacoish but with more lows. j roundwounds with overwound pus?
  5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I'd say it's a Danelectro Longhorn or an Alembic Series I.

J/K...I think it's a Jazz, too.
  6. Precision might be, but one is for sure - this is the sound of neck pickup of some bass if it is not Prec.
  7. Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    I think it's a warwick infinity. It really reminds me of the incubus bass player's sound. What's confusing is that there is a trumpet playing with the bass so it's kind of hard to distinguish the sounds.

Hmmmm.. But listening to it sounds like a p bass at the end. (listens to it again) WOW..this is hard. I Think it's a p-bass or some sort of p pickup combo.
  8. Oliver

Jun 21, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    J, but im usually wrong
  9. Washtub bass, clearly!

Joking. Sounds Jazz to me. But definately has some P elements to it...
  10. darkblack99

darkblack99 Supporting Member

Hagstrom Coronado IV with a quarter under the bridge.

11. kjones

kjones Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2004
    It's obviously an active bass using a Duracell Nine-Volt that's not newly installed.

Eric Johnson
  12. ROFL, nice.
  13. Keef

Jul 3, 2003
    Hollywood, CA
    Thanks for all the replies, folks. The piece of music is from an action scene, and this is actually the part that has the fewest sounds playing over it – the rest of the track has explosions, weapons blasts and dialogue everywhere!

The bass does sound like a Jazz at points – on my fretless Jazz, I barely ever change the strings (as in every few years), and this sounds kind of like mine does when I solo the neck pickup with the dead strings and play with heavy finger attack – thus my inquiry about flatwounds. But at the end of the clip, the bass sounds really P-like. There's a certain "plonkiness" there that says P-Bass to me.

BTW, the track is from a Japanese live-action anime film called Cutie Honey – good, campy fun, if you're into that kind of thing!

Thanks for all the replies to this thread!

~ Keef

14. Pete skjold

Pete skjold

May 29, 2004
    Warsaw Ohio
    Those Japanese love fenders !!

15. sounds like a jazz...bit biased to the neck pickup
  16. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Sounds like a P to me.

But then again, I don't believe any other type of bass really exists!
  17. That, my friend is almost certainly a 'P' fact I would even go as far as saying that it was a 70's P with an ash body, maple neck and roundwound strings
  18. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    Fendizzle P-izzle fo shizzle.

I apologize. Deeply.
  19. fourstring44

Jul 22, 2003
    St. Louis
    I would have to say: Jazz bass/neck PU/ flats