1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Can you identify this bass played by Phil Lynott?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dtlofton, Feb 21, 2008.

1. dtlofton

dtlofton

Oct 25, 2007
    Can anyone identify the bass guitar Phil is playing in this video?

There's a pretty good shot of it at 1:36 into the video. I've never seen one like it. He has a nice, clanky rock tone from it - kind of Geddy-like.

It appears to have an angled headstock, no string tree. The control plate looks kind of like a telecaster.

-DT

2. dtlofton

dtlofton

Oct 25, 2007
    There's a nice shot of the pickup at 2:25 - it appears to be a single-pickup bass, and the pickup looks kind of like a p-90 style.

-DT

3. bassaussie

bassaussie

Oct 6, 2001
    Portugal
    The bass in the video is a Roland bass which Phil used for a while. I'm not sure which model, but it's either a G33 or G88 (I'm sure a quick Google search will confirm which). This was the controller of the first bass synth Roland produced.

4. dtlofton

dtlofton

Oct 25, 2007
  5. bassaussie

bassaussie

Oct 6, 2001
    Portugal
    No worries, mate - glad to help!!! These Roland basses are few and far between - personally, I've only seen maybe 3 or 4 in about 20 years or so. If I remember correctly, they were made for Roland by Ibanez, and I think they date from around 1980 or so.

If you check out this site, there's somes cool photos, plus you'll see the resemblance to some early Ibanez basses.

http://www.joness.com/gr300/GR-33B.htm