1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Can You Identify This Japanese Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lmfreeman9, Oct 2, 2008.

1. Eilif

Eilif Holding it down in K-Town. Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    The tuners, bridge, wooden thumbrests and tailpiece are very similar to a "Crown Professional" MIJ violabass that I have. The small raised chrome pickups are almost identical, except that that bass has a chrome stripe in the middle of each pickup, and mine has 4 adjusting screws on each pup.

What you are looking at is probably a late 1960's, early 70's MIJ cheapo hollowbody. There were alot of these, some were marketed under names such as Grecco, Crown, Univox, Aria, Silvertone, etc. Unless you really have a thing for these kind of basses, I can't imagine it being worth 500 bucks. Though in the world of musical instruments, who knows.

This is not the great MIJ quality of such later basses by Tokai and Fender Japan. None (or very few) of these semihollows are great as far as construction quality, but alot of them have a really nice round hollow vintage tone. I use mine for low key acoustic gigs and it can get a really upright-esque tone, or do the Beatles thing very well..

2. RonChase

RonChase

Aug 15, 2008
    the pickups look like the kind used on teiscos from the 60's and 70's?

3. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    that's freaky!