1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Can you identify which bass is which in this test?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by dbd1963, Jul 24, 2012.

1. Yes, it's so easy a child could do it

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Dang, that's tougher than I thought

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. No, I am stumped!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. dbd1963

dbd1963

May 18, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    It's probably going to be pretty easy for you.

There are three basses, and each is played through a short riff with a pick and then finger style.

They are a Fender Modern Player Jazz, a Warwick Corvette Std 5, and a Tobias Toby Pro Custom with Bartonlini soapbars and a Bart pre-amp rather than the stock crap it came with. They are all going through a Portaflex PF-500 and an Avatar 210 into an SM57 and then straight into my DAW. There is a little light mastering to pull them up a bit.

Can you tell which is which? Which tone do you like the best?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2014
  2. dbd1963

dbd1963

May 18, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    In case nobody is guessing because it's harder than I thought it would be, let me add that to me Bartolinis sound throaty with a kind of, I don't know, Steinberger overtone, like there's some graphite in there somewhere. The Warwick is snappy and precise when played with good technique, which I do not have with a pick btw, while also growly. And the Modern Player has humbuckers, so it'll be a bit different from your average Jazz sound.

I was surprised by how much I liked the Tobias with the Bartolinis. It might be my favorite tone in this matchup. I don't like the Warwick at all in comparison. The Jazz, it seems to me, even with the humbuckers, has a classic tone that would fit right into a mix without too much struggle.