1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Can you match the 9 Pbass models (Squire Affinity~MIA Std) to the soundclips?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pudgychef, Mar 20, 2009.

1. pudgychef

pudgychef In Memoriam

Jan 22, 2005
    Chongqing, China
    Thought it would be fun to record 2 clips from each of 9 different P bass models to see if they were distinguishable from one another.

The models recorded: (all list prices in CAD)

Squier Afiinity P $200
    Squier Vintage Modified P $325
    Squier Classic Vibe Series 60s P $395
    Squier Classic Vibe Series 50s P yeah I know single coil...should be easy to pick out then $395
    MIM Standard P $600
    MIM Classic Series 50s P $750
    MIJ Fender "Squier Series" P (original MIJ run) $800
    Fender Highway One P (08 model) $1050
    MIA Standard P (08 model) $1450

The controls:

Now this is a VERY scientific study, so controls were quite strict. For instance, to be considered for the test the P basses in question had to be in one of the two stores I visited for this test. On top of that they needed to be on the wall at a height of less than 8ft and not behind glass...also they needed to work.

Strings: In an effort to maintain the pristine level of testing ALL strings on ALL basses HAD TO BE the strings that were on the bass when I took it off the wall...same goes for the set up :)

Brand: Decided to stay in the Fender family of brands for ease of testing

Method: basses were plugged directly into my old PXR4 recorder using a Planet Waves Custom Pro cable. No external pre-amp or internal pre-amp setting used. Basses were set with volume at 100% and tone at 50%. One take only for each bass and each clip (so here they are warts and all). I also did not plug the basses into an amp before hand so I wouldn't adjust playing style/attack to compensate. Basses were played in the same position, same right hand approach (except for MIJ Squier Series due to its PU cover)

SO the clips are titled Clip 1 through Clip 18. Clip 1 and 2 are the same bass, different line. Every bass follows this pattern. The first of each pair of clips is one line, the 2nd is the other. So Clip 5 is the 3rd bass playing line 1, Clip 6 is the same bass playing line 2.....

Hope this is as fun to try as it was to put together.

This is a link to the clips on a sharing site (i think( http://www.4shared.com/dir/13824116/957fb28b/sharing.html

Cheers
    Adam

2. So you've got a bunch of clips of basses with bad set-ups and dead strings? :D

Actually most of the clips are too distorted to really tell much about them.

3. pudgychef

pudgychef In Memoriam

Jan 22, 2005
    Chongqing, China
    don't forget shoddy technique and LO-FI recording set up...:)

actually I was surprised how fresh some of the strings were...the HWY one felt killer, great set up, new string....really the only brutal set up was the MIM Std...deadest strings were the MIJ P.

4. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    Hmmm, that's a lot of P basses...

5. I'll tell you right now that 1 in 1000 people would get them all right.

6. More like 1 in 362880..

7. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    I move for a re-test with better recording and a fresh setup of a single brand and gauge of new strings.

8. pudgychef

pudgychef In Memoriam

Jan 22, 2005
    Chongqing, China
    well pack up your recording gear, 9 packs of strings and set up tools and head down to your local shops! I will look forward to seeing it one you post it

9. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Actually, this probably better mimics the results one might find in live situations.