Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Can you modify 9 volt pre to 18 volt?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Bobbo 77', Jan 28, 2006.

1. Question,
    The output on my 2005 Fender Deluxe Active 5 is low to me. Can that be modified to 18 volt instead of the single battery it presently has? I'd imagine the battery compartment might have to be routed. Is this a easy, do-it-yourself, solder a couple of wires mod?

Bobbo 77'

2. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    18V will only help if you are clipping the circuit. The perceived volume will not change when adding 18V. It just gives you more head room for slaps and pop. Some preamps have an internal pot that allow you to set the volume. You could try raising your pickups.

Dave

3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    If you have soldering skills, yes. If you are nervous and shaky with a soldering iron, then take it to a luthier.

For the record, I was a complete newbie to soldering and all of that when I did this upgrade to my old Spector. it was really easy, and took about five minutes.

-Mike

4. Dave,
    The tone is cool, but I see what your saying. I thought it would give me more volume, I knew it'll give me more headroom. After playing my Stingray or Sr5, I have to always bring up the volume on my amp to compensate the volume difference. Thank's for your reply.

Bobbo 77'

5. MJ5150,
    Can you explain how to do the Mod? Or can you direct me to a site that explains and shows you how? Thank you for the reply!

Bobbo 77'

6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Sure thing bro. Here is a link with pictures on how to do it in a Spector. Read all the way though the thread, don't just look at the pictures. :D

18v Upgrade.

-Mike

7. The question is: Are the electronics designed to run on 18v or will you cook the preamp?

8. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    Be sure that the Fender preamp can tolerate 18V. Some opamps are not designed to take 18V. Especially if they are a higher quality opamp with lots of headroom when operating at 9V.

Dave

9. Fella's,
    I'll have to check and see if the Deluxe active's pre can handle 18 volt's. 5150, thank's for the extra wiring post info!

Bobbo 77'

10. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    I did this mod to my Spector, but instead of soldering, I clipped the battery wires and connected the cut wires to the wires on the second battery clip. Worked fine (tone improved GREATLY!), but I now have noticeable hiss. Would my wire-cutting measure have caused this?