Can you no longer ignore a piece of music?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by mcblahflooper94, Nov 9, 2011.

1. mcblahflooper94

mcblahflooper94

Aug 31, 2011
    Ever since I've picked up Bass & have gotten into music, I cam no longer calmly listen to music. It's terrible! Whenever I listen to a piece now, I have to take it apart. Find the beat, instruments, band, singer, and if I can, what key it's in. The only time I can listen to music with ease is when it's a loud concert or Delta Blues. When it's a concert, everything is too loud and (for concert virgins that just had their first time) you get a huge headache. Delta blues and the ballads is mostly made up of soul and feeling& really nothing to take apart. Just a man and a guitar.
    Has this Happened to you? Am I cursed forever?

2. pengyou40

pengyou40

Dec 2, 2010
    Don't feel too bad, I do the same thing now. For the last year or so I've been studying keys, modes, etc, etc. I can't listen to most music now without trying to figure out the time signature (usually 4/4, but not always :) the key, to hear all the instrument parts, etc.

If it bothers me too much, I just turn off the music and listen to people talking or something.

3. VitalSigns

VitalSigns

May 8, 2011
    Central NY
    Everytime I hear a song I imediately start taping my foot or fingures to the beat. Sometimes people tell me to stop cause it's annoying but I seriously can't help it!

4. This has happened to me- but is it a curse?? I kinda like it. Music is fascinating. Maybe listen to more complicated stuff that's harder to analyze? Like some Miles Davis Quintet?

5. smeet

smeet Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Woodland Hills, CA
    It's a blessing and a curse. Sometimes analyzing everything makes it harder to be emotionally impacted by the music. At the same time I can feel beauty in the music that a non-musician could never perceive.

6. giacomini

giacomini

Dec 14, 2008
    Florianopolis - Brazil
    Endorsing: Copetti Guitars
    +1 to all that.

7. mcblahflooper94

mcblahflooper94

Aug 31, 2011
    I agree with Smeat, but now I cannot work and listen without it impairing my diligence. :|

8. IMO the dissecting is half the fun of listening. Finding all of the subtle nuances gives me a better understanding of the song. But if i want to listen to a piece as a whole without finding myself missing the forest for a tree i have to turn my brain off. Meditation works the best for me, however if your a metal fan this becomes a little difficult. the other way i have tried is to think strongly about a singular feeling that the music may seem to be centered on. IMO this is best seen by Benjamin Zander's talk on TED about passion.
    Benjamin Zander on music and passion | Video on TED.com

9. mcblahflooper94

mcblahflooper94

Aug 31, 2011
    Yes, well I have done meditation before, but not for these purposes. I am a metal fan, and this probably will be an issue. It is not that I am completely unable to get emotion from a piece of music, but it's just an annoying distraction! I will try this, thank you :)

10. The only thing that I really notice nowadays is a shift in what I pay attention to. Before discovering the bass, I was the typical dude who dug the guitar (still do, but less), remembered the solos and stuff. I could barely even hear the bass.

Now, I tend to focus heavily on the bassline, sometimes ignoring the guitar completely. Which I think is cool because it shows an improvement in my understanding/ appreciation of music and the low end.

And, like VitalSigns, I also find myself tapping to the music without even thinking about it.

11. uethanian

uethanian

Mar 11, 2007
    yeah, it's part of the reason i don't like concerts that much, unless it's something simple like guitar+voice. when it's a full band 1x through a song isn't enough to dissect everything...but on the other hand, i feel like i have a more intimate connection with the music i do seriously listen to, and i keep hearing new things in recordings i thought i was totally familiar with.

12. G3Mitch

G3Mitch

Feb 8, 2011
    New Zealand
    i definitley let an album grip me in its entirety first, ill notice cool bass, guitar and drum parts. but i definitely pay more attention to the bass, but also listen to structuring alot aswell. but thats only if im really thinking about. which often i dont do haha just want to enjoy the album.

13. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    My wife has pointed out more than once, that when I hum along to a tune in the car, I'm usually humming the bass line (Or variations of it that I think should have been there.)

If you can avoid the pitfall of becoming a "Music Snob", the condition isn't so bad.

14. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Part of my learning new material is to play it (on whatever box) constantly to get a better "feel" for it. Makes it much easier to absorb when it comes time to put hands on the bass.

Because of this I don't worry overmuch about any other (recorded) music I hear unless it happens to have a hook that gets me. An example of this is a song called "New Shoes". I recently heard the chorus on a shoe store commercial and I can't get it out of my head. It's not the kind of music I usually give a second thought to, and over all the song is more than a bit goofy (I looked it up on U tube), but the chorus has a hook I can't seem shake.

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021