Can you overpower your guitarist?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dan Molina, Oct 31, 2005.

1. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    For some reason I could overpower my guitarist very easily. I though 120watts was suppose to be more than enough power for a guitar amp, maybe people mean tube watts. Do yiu guys find it easy to overpower your guitarist or are you struggling to be heard?
  2. brothernewt

brothernewt Some people call me the stormtrooper of love...

Apr 13, 2004
    Happyrock, OR
    Yeah... I think. Scott's 6'5" but kind of weak/skinny. Ryan's 5'10" but pretty wiry. I still think I could take 'em!
  3. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    On about 2 or 3 on the master :p

Turn it up to, say, 5 and listen to em cry!
  4. jazzbasser79

Oct 30, 2005
    Los Angeles
    my guitarist hates me...actually my whole band hates me. ive been deemed the 2nd loudest bassist at our lockout. The first plays in a metal band and has an 8x10...even if i just use my epi410 without my vintage cabs i still eat them alive. I don't know why everyone complains about loud guitarists with excessive amounts of gear. Bassist are taking over and with a vengeance!!!!
  5. dave120

Jun 27, 2005
    Central Florida
    Well let's see..

Lead Guitar: 50 Watts Marshall JCM 2000 tube amp
    Rhythm Guitar: 100 Watts Randall SS amp

Me: 700 Watt SS GK 1001RB-II. I think I have them covered :D

Not that I ever try and be overbearing on them but all this extra power let's me keep them in line when they decide that they wanna keep trying to get louder all the time!
  6. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    With my arsenal, that's never been a "problem", except for the complaining from the skinny string section. :D

Are you talking 120 solid state watts for the guitar player, or 120 tube watts? I find that even a good 50w tube guitar half stack can put up one heck of a "fight."

BUT, I do have to point out that if you can reach some form of detante with your guiar player(s), it really does make for a better experience for you and the crowd if you can keep your stage volumes to a reasonable level, and let the sound tech balance things in the mix. True, I do like a very forceful, dynamic, cutting tone on stage, but I try to get that with the least volume necessary, as opposed to the most volume possible.

But I've got to say, when you just need to blow a primadonna guitar player off the stage, nothing delivers like a V8! :D:bassist:
  7. No... :crying: I need more power and more cabs... not to mention an amp thats not a Behringer...
  8. Daytona955i

Feb 17, 2005
    Albany, NY
    My guitar players play a Blue Voodoo 120 watt tube half stack, and a JCM 900 half stack, and I have a 1000 watt B4R that I play into a 4x10 and a 1x15.

And yes, I can drown them out. :p
  9. My guitarist has a peavey combo amp.

I'm running my Kustom Groovebass head at 2 ohms (1200 watts baby... :hyper: ) through 2 Eden D112XLT's (8 ohms each) and 1 Eden D210XST (4 ohms).

Yeah I could whomp the whole band. :D
  10. My very thoughts. One of my guitarists has about 80-100 lbs on me, but I could sucker punch & probably outrun him. The other g'ist is a girl; I wouldn't try out of fear of potential embarrassment at getting beaten down by a girl(who also happens to be smaller than me)....
  11. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Probably not if he brings both the HR Deluxe and the Twin but then again I've never had to take my master over half way so thankfully my guitarist and I share the opinion that as we sing, it's important to hear the monitors so we keep our stage vol in line...
  12. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    T.Rez, Canada
    Greetings from the North,
    Thunder and Rumble should always be able to overcome squeak and squawk. You don't have to....but it is nice knowin it's there. :smug:
  13. Paul_C

Paul_C Builder: Arrowheadguitars Basses

Mar 5, 2005
    Northampton, UK
    I've got a Behringer amp and it's plenty loud enough.

Mind you, it is a 2500W power amp :D :D

14. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    It's a 120 watt SS crate 2x12 combo. I'm getting him to look into a tube amp.

When we practice me and the drummer can barely hear him. Are sound levels are pretty tame compared to many local bands and we don't come out with ringing ears. I might try tweaking his tone and adding in more mids. Sadly that's not the sound we are trying to achieve.
  15. pablomigraine

pablomigraine Commercial User

Feb 9, 2005
    New York
    VP & Managing Director - Willcox Basses
    We've actually had fights in the middle of sets about my levels. I've been threatened with expulsion from the band.......

My guitarists both play Peavey 5150 heads (120 watts each) with full stacks (8 12" speakers each)

One Word:

(mated with 1200 watt power amp, BBE Bmax-T and some very nasty Stingrays)
  16. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    120 watts SS for a guitar really just isn't that much. It can get "somewhat loud" ut its nothing compared to a 100watt marshall or a 120 watt blue voodoo through a 4x12.
  17. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Stewart World 2.1 plus Bergantino cabinets = teh win. :p
  18. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    2 of my guitarists run Fender Twins (85 watts) and the third guitarist has a MBT (boutique amp at 50 watts). I run a SWR Bass 750 at 4 Ohms through my Schroeders for 750 watts! I never turn my pre up over 3. I can always hear myself. I don't know what they would do if I turned up to 4 :p :D
  19. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

that's my set-up too , and i've never had a problem being heard ...:D...
    but , maybe if the band is saying your'e too loud , you should try turning
    down and actually listen to the rest of the band .
    remember , just because you can , dosen't mean you should ... jmo .

meh ... what do i know , ... i'm just the bass player ...

peace :cool: