Can you partially blow a speaker?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by huskies90, May 28, 2005.

1. huskies90

May 17, 2004
    I have an swr 350x that started to sound "different" after trying out a power amp and hooking it up incorrectly in bridge mode and getting a weird popping and crackling noise (see the following thread near the end:

I have two edens a 210xlt and 115xlt both 8 ohms and I used the swr 350x as the preamp. After hearing that god awful sound I have gone back to just using the swr and I have been able to play at full volume. I did not change any settings on my amp at all but I'm getting much more mid range than I did before and I am not getting the same clean hi fi type sound the swr/eden combo gives me (and I love). Is it possible to blow speakers/tweeter just a little or if it was blown at all would I know? Could what happen effected the tube in my preamp section? Could it be coincidence that I just noticed it after this happened?
  2. It could be the pre tube going microphonic just at a coincidental time
  3. I agree... check the tubes inside the head and see if they aren't messed up by the power that should not have gone through them.

My Metro started sounding like crap a couple of months ago. I was wigging out. All of a sudden it was like a cheapo bass rig. So, I emailed the guys at Eden and they said to buy a new tube for it and try that before we did anything like speaker exchanges, etc.

Fixed it instantly.

I am not saying that this WILL work for you. But it is worth the attempt.

4. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    yes you can partially blow a speaker. You excede the heat tolerance of the voice coil, things expand enough so that is mis forms and then rub's in the magnet slot. Very inconsistent resaults tonally. None of them good. ANother is vastly excedeing the maiximum excursion and creasing the cone. Do it enough and you'll lose bass response and introduce other distortion. In both cases, the speaker retains it's ability to pass current, at least for a time ... the tube is a long shot at best, but as far as cheap goes, it is your best case scenario. I just got a quote of $75 to recone and Eden 15 from Brownell Sound in Portland, OR. I use these guys all the time as a reconer and far as I'm concerned they are just tops!

Speaker Reconing div Brownell Sound
  5. Always check the cheapest stuff first, tubes, cables, etc. But yeah, I imagine partially blown speakers could also have a bit of melted insulation in the voice coil, so some windings are shorted together. Like a car with half the cylinders not firing.

Shorted windings would "convert" the voice coil to a lower ohms rating since some of the windings are bypassed, could show the power amp too low a load, causing sonic problems all its own.

6. huskies90

May 17, 2004
    Thanks guys for the feedback. I took your advice and started with the cheapest thing which was to change the batteries in my active bass and yes, that solved the problem. My speakers sound fine and I got that modulus, swr, eden hi fi sound back! :)