1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Can you pass an 8th grade test?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by syciprider, Jun 2, 2007.

1. syciprider

syciprider Inactive

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    From 1895?

They did not celebrate mediocrity back in those days.

2. Fontaine

Fontaine

Apr 27, 2006
    le bomb-o

3. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Inactive

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    Most of those are just rote memorization. That's pretty mediocre.

4. labgnat

labgnat Inactive

Oct 29, 2005
    outta this world
    i graduated already, i dont' be takin no mo testsses

5. syciprider

syciprider Inactive

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Defensive huh?

6. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Inactive

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    I just really hate rote memorization, as it takes a lot of time and doesn't teach you anything.

7. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    He always is.

8. lump

lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    Some people call that, "knowledge.":cool:

9. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Inactive

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    By the way, where did you get this test from?

10. too bad it's nothing like that today..."lolz 2 + 2 is some bling bling!"

11. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Inactive

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    And what do you call someone with a lot of knowledge and nothing else? A pseudo-intellectual.

12. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    Um, yes... yes i can...

What's the next question?

13. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Inactive

Jan 29, 2007
    Northern New Jersey
    Endorsing Artist: Red Zone Effects
    Tests today aren't any easier. They're just different...

Seriously, do you think an 8th grader in 1895 could explain DNA, RNA, or Evolution? AI? How about AP math (trig, calculus)? Bushels and rods are fine if you're a farmer, but they ain't gonna get ya far in the modern world...

Seriously!

14. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Inactive

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    You shouldn't take bushels and rods into account, precisely because the times are different. I just have a beef with them cramming orthography into their brains and various dates. Like they couldn't just Google it. :rolleyes:

15. LOL principle US trade centers... I would only pass the math part.

16. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Inactive

Jan 29, 2007
    Northern New Jersey
    Dates, yeah, that's just rote memorization that contains no real value without context.

Orthography, on the other hand, is spelling. I believe that all students should be required to learn to spell correctly and how to figure out the spelling of unfamiliar words, so they can look them up in the dictionary.

But, seeing as Google spell checks, maybe it's not so important after all... ;)

17. blankstare77

blankstare77

May 19, 2006

I'm afraid that overall the initial test is a horrible example of "education".

Education should encompass not miniscule facts, but it should only inform children of NECESSARY information that is APPLICABLE to daily life. You don't need to know 90% of that stuff to survive. Society just creates this fictitious ideal of LIBERAL ARTS and the RENAISSANCE MAN. How about we stop teaching them stupid facts that are negligible and start teaching kids things that MATTER?

Liberal arts is a horrible ideal. Reading, Writing, Arithmetic. That's all you need to know. Science is, for the most part, negligible.

And another thing here: Grammar rules are also negligible. Do you honestly think about every element in your sentence before communicating it? By teaching parts of speech, studies have shown that it rarely increases a student's capability to communicate more effectively and correctly. A more favorable method is just encouraging children to read and write more often.

18. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Inactive

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    I can't tell you the parts of speech or any of the garbage. But I have me some good grammar. I mean, what's the point of knowing the parts of a verb or whatever the hell it was, if you're not going to use that information ever? I don't think even English majors use that info. The important thing is to know how to do it.

Orthography is actually grammar, not just spelling. ;)

19. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Inactive

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    dunce.png

Go sit in the corner. It's because of people like you that Kansas wants to teach ID along evolution.

20. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Inactive

Jan 29, 2007
    Northern New Jersey
    Oh, dude...

[​IMG]

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 16, 2021