Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Can you place a preamp in the effects loop of an amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by emjazz, Dec 21, 2004.

1. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I'm going to order a headless David King 6 string in a few months. I was just browsing the Klein electric guitars page and read that Bill Frisell has a piezo in his guitar with a separate output. I've thought about piezo's in my bass. My question is, would it be possible to send the piezo's to a preamp that is then put into the effects loop of my Glockenklang Soul amp? Then I could eq the piezo's separately from the magnetic pickups and then mix them. It would also allow any affects that I use to be separate from the piezo if I wish, such as an overdrive.

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    yep you can

as long as your amp has a side chain effects loop that lets you balance the amount of dry and wet signals you can balance the signal from your head's preamp and the external preamp with the blend control. If your effects loop has no blend control, plugging an external preamp into the effects loop of your head will cut off any signal from the head's internal preamp.