Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Can you play bass on guitar?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Z_Bass, Jun 17, 2003.

1. Z_Bass

Z_Bass

May 9, 2003
    Not that that's what I'm going to do :D
    Do you think it's possible to play bass on a guitar using an octave pedal? Theoretically you'd be able to as long as you don't slap. I don't know how it would sound if you try... might sound to geetarish??

2. Before I had my first bass, I was so desperate to play that I tuned my acoustic geetar down an octave :D
    It wasn't really that bad.

Now, back on topic, wouldn't an octave pedal preserve the original note too? So it would sound like you're playing an octave chord? I know 311 use octave pedals a bit, and you can always hear that it's a guitar...

3. Stephen S

Stephen S Member

Apr 10, 2002
    San Bernardino, CA
    What about the new White Stripe's song Seven Nation Army where the guitar is playing the bass line with an octave pedal? There are no guitar notes to be found until later on in the verse.

4. dragonbass

dragonbass Commercial User

Feb 17, 2003
    N.Y.
    Owner/Builder of LoPrinzi Basses.........................................EX-Sadowsky Guitars Builder
    Yeah..I guess you could....by why?

Didn't Eddie Van Halen Slap on his guitar on Right Now( or one of those songs off F.u.c.k.) I remeber seeing him do it live on Right Here, Right Now.

5. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    nikki sixx did it, why cant you!

6. Reggie Wooten does! :D

BTW.. Before I got my first bass I played my down tuned electric strat with my index and middle fingers.. for A YEAR.. When I got the bass, I was really Intimidated by the string spacing... but.. Anyway..

Of course you can emulate a bass with a guit and an octave pedal.. but still.. Why would you want to do that?..

7. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Pat metheny does on a Michael Brecker album. there is no bass player, but Metheny with his bag of tricks comps some pretty happening bass parts.

8. Too funny... I dont know many people who knew that story.:)

9. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    I've seen guitarists do it with MIDI controllers and synth brains.. Ref. Roland GK-2 pickup and the GR-33

10. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Before he started Morphine, Mark Sandman played "low guitar" for Treat Her Right...a Tele through an octave pedal.

Lots of old blues recordings with two guitars, one playing bass lines.

11. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
  12. theydolph

theydolph Guest

Oct 26, 2002
    Two words: Stanley Jordan.

13. xparis001

xparis001 Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2003
    Worcester, ma
    Product Manager, Akai Professional
    according to carl thompson, all us antiquated 34 scalers already are! :p

14. See Scott Lucas from Local H. He plays guitar and bass at the same time with a modded Telecaster. He runs a bass pickup on the low strings and runs that through an octave pedal and into a bass amp. I'm not sure how well it works. I haven't seen them live yet.

15. I don't know about other pedals, but with the Boss OC2, you have three controls - one for the volume of the original note, one for the first octave down, and one for the second octave down.

So you can play notes two octaves down from what you're fingering, without any of the original coming through.

16. Donkeybass

Donkeybass

May 13, 2003
    Odessa, TX
    If you listen to modern rock radio, then you might have heard the new White Stripes song "7 Nation Army." Some people still may not be aware that the White Stripes are only two people. In this particular song, the guitarist uses an octave pedal to make his guitar sound like a semi-distorted bass for the main theme. I would think that listening to this song would give you an idea of what a "professional(?)" mastering of it would sound like.

Maybe it'll help, I dunno..

RT

17. Donkeybass

Donkeybass

May 13, 2003
    Odessa, TX
    BTW, I forgot to mention that IMHO it sounds like poop. :bassist:

18. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
  19. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    A lot of acoustic guitar players play a bass line when finger picking.

20. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

And most electric players ... bass line, what's that man, fingerpicking, what's that, man ....

:p ;)

I emulate my guitar player by playing my bass with a fresh mango, try it Gabu! :D