1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Can you please recomend a good teacher in New York?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by odin70, Apr 14, 2016.

Tags:
  1. odin70

odin70

Dec 26, 2007
    Electric and/or upright

Im going to New York im may/june. Holiday. I would really like to take some lessons. Im semi pro. Played for 30 years. More interested in inspiration than chords and scales..if you know what i mean. Manhattan/Brooklyn. Can you recomend anyone?

thanks!

Last edited: Apr 14, 2016
  2. seang15

seang15

Aug 28, 2008
    Cary NC
    Look up The Bass Collective in Manhattan. They sometimes have world renowned players teaching there. I took a private lesson with Matt Garrison there once upon a time. Their staff is great, too. I'd suggest you start, and end, your inspirational journey there!

odin70 likes this.
  3. AMp'D.2play

AMp'D.2play Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2010
    NJ
    Check out Patrick Pfeiffer. Fantastic instructor. His studio is a few blocks from Central Park West.

odin70 likes this.
  4. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    I first moved to NYC in 1987 and Pat was already one of the most popular local teachers even then! Never had the pleasure of studying with him, but anyone who can sustain a career in NYC for that long must be offering something people value.

seang15, AMp'D.2play and odin70 like this.
  5. odin70

odin70

Dec 26, 2007
    Thank you all! I have been in contact with two teachers and both of them charged 100$ for a lesson. To me that is a lot. Is it really that expencive in NY?

6. Bob_Ross

Dec 29, 2012
    You should try buying an apartment here!

seang15 and odin70 like this.
  7. tbplayer59

tbplayer59

Jan 20, 2013
    I've never done it, but many suggest recording your lessons. If I was paying $100, I'd certainly record it for later reference.

odin70 likes this.
  8. odin70

odin70

Dec 26, 2007
    I know that its expensive to live over there, but come on ..100$ for a lesson.

9. Bob_Ross

Dec 29, 2012
    4 questions immediately come to mind:

- How much do you think a bass lesson should cost?

- How did you arrive at that figure?

- If you were the teacher how much would you charge for a bass lesson?

- How did you arrive at that figure?

Bonus question:

- How much do you think one hour of, say, a licensed electrician's, or a licensed massage therapist's, or an orthopedist's, or a general contractor's (etc etc etc) time is worth?

LeeNunn, Leo Smith and Mushroo like this.
  10. odin70

odin70

Dec 26, 2007
    The bottom line is. Im not gonna pay 100$ for a lesson. My choice.

11. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    New England
    Go Skype with a number of top players.
    No offense to the NYC guys.

seang15 likes this.
  12. Leo Smith

Leo Smith

Oct 21, 2009
    For a pro-level player, that's a going rate almost anywhere. Going to assume that's for an hour. Remember that you are paying for the teacher's guidance and real-world expertise.

I second the recommendations above. Also look up Gregg August. He plays with the Afro Latin Jazz Orchestra (grammy winners) as well as other groups around town. I took a lesson with him recently and it was the best $90 i've spent in a loooooooong time. It gave me a lot to think about and he even made me some italian-style coffee!

What are you looking to get out of the lesson?

13. Leo Smith

Leo Smith

Oct 21, 2009
    addendum - if you're just looking for inspiration, go to the clubs and talk to the players after the gigs.

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 27, 2021