Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Can you please recommend a bass teacher in Toronto.

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by rubo, Feb 11, 2004.

1. rubo

rubo

Aug 25, 2003
    Hi, can semeone please recommend a good bass guitar teacher in the Toronto area. I'm still hoping Adrian can find the phone number for Will Jarvis, but if no luck there, then I have to find someone else.

Cheers

2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
  3. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Orin Isaacs. He plays for the "Open Mike with Mike Bullard" show.

4. rubo

rubo

Aug 25, 2003
    I can't affod his lessons, it's about $50 or $50 per hour.

Cheers

5. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    Try and hook up with Dave Johns. He was one of Orin's mentors back in the day, he's a killer bassist in his own right. He teaches at the music school run by the store where I work in Burlington, but I think he's still taking Toronto students as well.

I actually went to the same church as Orin back in the day, but I don't think he'd remember me. Cool to see that he's made it!!! One of these days, I'm going to try and do his "video correspondence lesson" deal.

6. rubo

rubo

Aug 25, 2003
    What's the name of the school? And any other info which will help me locate him.

Cheers

7. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    Dave teaches at the Lakeshore Music School-Long&McQuade in Burlington. You can leave a message for him by calling 905-319-7919 I think. He's pretty good about returning phone calls. If he can't take you on, he'll be able to reccommend someone who can. Cheers!

8. I know an amazing teacher, however, he will probably charge $50. But I have to say that he is worth every penny! The man is a musical genious! :bassist:
    In case you are interested anyway his name is John Tapscott and although he does not live in the GTA, he travels in frequently- He comes to you!
    Call him.... 1 905 342 3680, you won't be sorry! :D

9. leo

leo

Mar 7, 2004
    Toronto
    What kind of style are you looking for? I sometimes take lessons from the bass player in I Mother Earth.

10. rubo

rubo

Aug 25, 2003
    Deep House/ Latin stuff, but I already spoke to Will Jarvos, so hopefully next week I'll start my sessions with him.

Cheers