Can you please tell me the model of this bass amp head?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by UM300 aka MZ, Nov 1, 2019.

1. UM300 aka MZ

UM300 aka MZ

Nov 1, 2019
    Brand: Hatke
    Model: ??? 5B7800D5-B4E7-4719-A5DE-42717669DFDF.png

2. Maybe you're having trouble searching because it's "Hartke" (you're missing the "r")

Head pulled from a Hartke HyDrive combo

(Edit for curiosity question...Why???)

UM300 aka MZ likes this.
  3. UM300 aka MZ

UM300 aka MZ

Nov 1, 2019
    Thanks DrPepper. The reason is wattage.

4. Redbrangus

Redbrangus Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2018
    Under The X In Texas
    I think @drpepper was wondering why the amp had been removed from the original combo, not why you wanted to know about the amp.

UM300 aka MZ likes this.
  5. UM300 aka MZ

UM300 aka MZ

Nov 1, 2019
  6. Most likely plenty of watts as it is fully featured for EQ. Should be better clues on the back.

7. A little Google says it's a HyDrive combo amp alright. The 115 is 250w according to the writing above the graphic EQ sliders.

8. UM300 aka MZ

UM300 aka MZ

Nov 1, 2019
    That's right @Downunderwonder , it's 250w :D The bassist using it was playing a 5 string Warwick with single coils. The sound was very loud and clear against the 100w Marshall amp from the lead guitar.

9. Must have been a tame guitarist.

10. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Roots and fifths and a little extra. Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2011
    West Bend, Wisconsin
    You could bury that bass rig with a $150 100w 12" speaker guitar combo. If you wanted to.

UM300 aka MZ likes this.
  11. JohnArnson

JohnArnson

May 28, 2019
    You could bury it with a shovel too, doesn't mean you have to.

250 watt ought to be plenty for most band rehearsal situations, and gigs for that matter, as long as you got PA support at least.

I've played bass on a couple of small outdoor festivals with a 50 watt in a noisy rock band, though admittedly it did went though the PA and I did have a stage monitor.

I am puzzled about how it seem most people nowadays seems to be of the misconception that they need at least an 800 watt amp to be heard, and then some people complaining that even then they can't hear them self properly.

I suppose it would make sense if they were picking the strings with a feather though.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
    UM300 aka MZ likes this.
  12. indeed with enough cab, but gui****....

13. scottfeldstein

Jun 20, 2011
    West Bend, Wisconsin
    Yes. I've played a lot of gigs running an old GK 210 with 300w at 8 ohms. Every patio in town during the summer months and most indoor shows, too. But once or twice a year I get a bigger venue or an outdoor festival. It's great that the audience gets me in the FOH mains. But if the only thing I hear on stage is the FOH bounced off the far wall, that's a problem. These can be loud shows, sometimes even in relatively small venues. I am not going to hear myself well enough. For these I have to maybe try my pair of 115 cabs and run them at 300w each. That usually does the job.

These days I'm trying to see how far I can get with some good 112 cabs. I've already done a show with just one. And an outdoor show with a pair. Seems to work ok! They won't cut it for those loud shows, though. These ain't Greenboy cabs. And even if they were, I'd need a lot of watts to drive them with.

14. UM300 aka MZ

UM300 aka MZ

Nov 1, 2019
    I hope he would have been, but nope. He was full blown distortion.
    Maybe, but even with like three or four pedals on and huge gain the lead guitarist did not bury the bassist, only the rythm guitarist.
    That's right my friend. If there's one thing I learned about this experience is that math is on your side, so if the budget isn't that high, you can calculate the minimum power for the minimum sound: 250w bass loudness.png (The sound would be even louder if the band would invested in a more powerfull amp/PA and not Warwick/boutique stuff :p)

15. I get the feeling it must have been full on distortion at lower volume. That's the thing that a lot of guitarists won't do. Even a 50w Marshall tube amp doing its best to be the loudest thing in the room through 412 takes some keeping up with. Ime quite a bit more than a 250w amp and single 115.

16. scottfeldstein

Jun 20, 2011
    West Bend, Wisconsin
    Don't they say that you need 4x the watts of your guitar player to even hope to keep up? I don't know if that's universally true, but it feels pretty close. I don't even know what you'd need speaker-wise. But more of them. More than the guitar player. Maybe if the guy's running 100w into a 412, you could keep up with 500 into an 810? I mean, if he's really stretching his amp's legs.

17. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    this has been answered many times before. it should not be very puzzling.
    Not every working bass player gets FOH support on every gig.
    Big wattage does more than just provide big volume, it also offers more headroom for clean tone players.
    Amps also have volume controls, so you don't always have to dime your rig for every gig.
    IMO/IME it's a matter of rig flexibility. I'd rather have 800w available and not need it all the time vs not having it when I need it.

hope this helps ;)

Bill Whitehurst likes this.