Can you plug a guitar into a bass amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by megatron, Aug 6, 2003.

1. megatron

Jul 9, 2003
    I was wondering this. My brother plays an electric guitar. A Strat. He wanted to plug into my bass amp and i said no! :D He said it was okay as far as he knew. So i ask, is this ok?
  2. thumbtrap

Jun 26, 2003
    yep. Absolutely nothing harmful about it. Now why you would WANT to is a different story. Bass into guitar amp can damage the speakers though.
  3. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Guitar into a bass amp... I do it all the time. I love it, more than a guitar amp. It gives it a super fat sound. I think it sounds really cool.
  4. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    And that's why vintage Bassmans (Bassmen?) are used more by guitarists than bassists!
  5. NO!

It is forbidden, you will wreck your guitar.
    and your amp.
    and the bass beside your amp.
    everything will blow up, and your brother's insides will become his outsides.

Actually, there's nothing wrong with it. Ever heard of a Roland 120? Is it a bass or guitar amp??? It's used by both equally.

6. telemike

Jul 7, 2003
    You can use a Roland JC-120 for bass? The Roland speakers can handle it? How about the 2x10 JC90 model?
  7. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    The only real downside is if your brother uses an overdrive/distortion/fuzz pedal and your amp/cabinet has a tweeter. Distortion makes tweeters unhappy and it sounds terrible...(in a bad way)
  8. Bassstud1

Bassstud1 Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2001
    LaPorte Indiana USA
    Both input jacks are 1/4"
    As far as that goes I have an output on my power amp that's 1/4"
    I wonder how my bass would work as a speaker?
  9. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Guitar into a bass amp is the so-called 'Brown Tone' from blues.
    BillyB is right about the effects' harmful effects :D to the tweeters or big speakers (with 10s or 12s it should be ok).
    BUT!: dont do it!!! if more guitarists learn about it, what if they'll show up with 300 watt amps and then try to outdo them with 4x power! :eek: :(

10. cjgallen

Oct 19, 2001
    My guitar rig and bass rig are one in the same.

I can dial in some awesome sounds with my Big Muff and WT400.
  11. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Hey Bassstud1...if you do that with the volume turned all the way down on the bass, you'll short out the output of your amp.

At least you have Roxy Music in town to buy new gear from...