1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Can you plug a pedal board into a DI

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by carlos840, Oct 31, 2010.

1. Might be a very stupid question but i cant figure it out!
    Im thinking about buying a radial J48 but i want to make sure it will be able to deal with the levels of my pedals!
    I think they are designed to deal with pickup outputs, will a pedal screw it up?
    I read that it can cope with 10v signals but im not sure i understand what that means!

Basically i use a passive bass, going into a pedalboard with distortions, envelope filters, octave, fuzz and want to plug that into a DI to go to FOH and link to my amp...

Cheers

2. It's common practice. Do it.

3. Thats what i thought, but then i read all those threads about people with effects complaining about sound guys making them use a DI thus not using their pedal boards!
    That made me think that for some reason it was a bad idea to have something between the bass and the DI...

4. Some sound guys don't like it because effects make a bass unpredictable in a mix, especially if they're not familiar with the band. If you have your effect dialed in pretty well and your levels don't get way out of whack when you switch them in and out it shouldn't be a problem at all, even if a sound guy gets cranky with you.

5. But there is no risk of clipping an active DI by putting effects in front of it? (unless there is a massive volume difference...)
    What had me worried is this 10V headroom on a DI thing, wasnt sure if it had anything to do with pedals running at 9v and 18v...
    Will a distortion running at 18V clip an active DI?

6. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    It's all good.

7. What Rickenboogie said.

No harm will come to the gear.

8. Im not afraid of doing any harm to the gear, im just worried about clipping the DI...

9. Where you'll have to worry is at the mixing board. The Radial will be fine.

10. Ba55Man1ac

Ba55Man1ac Gold Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Instrument level ≈ -10dBu ≈ 245mV. Even if your fx bring your level up to line level (+4dBu ≈ 1.23V), your 10V capable DI will still have plenny headroom. Rock it! :bassist:

11. If you ever clip the DI (which is pretty hard to do so) they pretty much all come with a pad switch, so use that if it becomes a real issue. I've never heard of anything pedal-wise clipping a DI, however, and I sometimes run my effects pretty hot (with an active bass too I might add - Stingray 5).

12. shaolinwhat

shaolinwhat

Jun 5, 2005
    Ohio
    A lot of sound guys get bent out of shape if you want to use your own DI instead of the one they have on hand, let alone put pedals in front of it. That's just them being cranky, they'll get over it.

13. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I run my board into my JDI all the time...it works great. I've never had any issues doing it.

14. Thanks all,

This leads me to a different question, should i buy an active or passive Di?
    I read a lot about that and the general advice is that a passive bass "should" be plugged into an active DI, but, does having loads of effects ( all of them are unbuffered, true bypass) change that "rule"?

i only have passive basses and was planning on getting a Radial J48 active...

15. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Personally I'd probably stick with the J48. If you're worried, just buy it from a place that has a decent return policy in case it doesn't work for you.

I used to run an active DI (Aguilar DB900) with an active bass and my effects. It still worked well and sounded great.

16. Get the J48. Radial have a great reputation for their products.

edit: I Just looked it up. It has a -15dB pad switch, so you really have nothing to worry about whatsoever :)

17. christoph h.

christoph h.

Mar 26, 2001
    Germany
    You can plug a pedal board into a DI without problems.
    BUT: Some effects do not sound very good without the coloration of a speaker/mic. Most of the time fuzz/distortion/overdrive effects sound very harsh and unpleasant.

18. Ba55Man1ac

Ba55Man1ac Gold Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    I prefer a passive DI. It has the benefit of total galvanic isolation of input from output which I find solves/helps with problems in venues with crappy power/gear.

19. Well i just ordered the Radial J48, hope it was the right thing to do!
    I just thought that since i only use passive passes, run my bass through a 30 feet cable, a pedal board, another 20 feet to my amp and then a 50 feet snake to the desk an active DI was a better move!
    Now i hop i dont get problems with ground loops!
    Before i was using a BDDI and only had the issue once and it was solved by lifting the ground, hopefully i wont have issues with this one!

20. The J48 has a ground lift. You'll be fine.