Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Can you plug a sansamp Di into a power amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ojthesimpson, Feb 7, 2004.

1. ojthesimpson

ojthesimpson

Jul 21, 2003
    Draper, UT
    I have a sansamp di and I was wondering if I should skip using my intergrated head and get a power amp instead. I think with the money I'd get out of my GK 1001rb I could get more power for my buck.
    Is there going to be a change in my sound switching from a GK to a poweramp?
    pros and cons that kind of thing.
    thanks guys!

2. Boozy

Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    Well, there will obviously be a difference between using your sansamp pedal with a GK head or using it with a regular power amp. The GK head has its own preamp and therefore has its own tone shaping capabilities, whereas the pweramp wouldnt. You would NEED to use your sansamp with the poweramp... one reason being that you would want some tone shaping capabitites, and two being that I have read that you need to plug your bass into something (a preamp of some sort) to get the voltages or something like that right for use with the poweramp.

Anyways, here is what I recommend:
    If you arent going to use the preamp on the GK, I mean, you would bypass it and be only using the sansamp as your preamp, then just get a poweramp as it will cost alot less for equal or more power (why pay for a head if youre not gonna use it?)
    On the other hand, if you are gonna use the GK like a normal head, then just add your sansamp for a bit of extra tone shaping, then go witht the GK.

I have also read this (so keep it in mind).. the sansamp RBI is better when used alone as a preamp either with a poweramp or with your head, but in the effects loop thus bypassing your amplifiers preamp.. but the sansamp DI is best used as a pedal in conjunction with your amplifiers preamp.. I dunno why people have said this, something to do with the strength of signal each peice of gear puts out I think.

I dunno if this would have helped, but... I dnno..

Have you played thru a GK 1001rb? Do you like the tone of it? do you like the tone of the DI alone better? or do you like the tone of both togther?

3. You can, but I wouldn't recommend it. I'm using a Sansamp BDDI into a QSC RMX 1850HD. The Sansamp does not have a lot of clean headroom when used like this. If you crank the drive knob, you can get enough, but at that point you've moved into overdrive territory. I've started using a BBE Sonic Maximizer after the Sansamp, which seems to help with this and lets me use less gain on the Sansamp, so I can still get a good clean tone.

4. ojthesimpson

ojthesimpson

Jul 21, 2003
    Draper, UT
    thanks for advice. I like how it sounds just plugged into the return effects input but it does seem to be lacking some shape (make sense>?) I'm going to try adjusting my EQ a little differently and just plug into the regular input.
    I don't want to add another rack space or can't (those GKs need an extra space because their fan is on the top of the amp)
    All I can say for sure is my sound improved a ton when I got the Sansamp. I was used to a vintage ampeg and this littlem agic box has give me my growl back without the 95 lbs of weight.