Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

can you point out some bad habbits with my techniqe (vid)

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by fr0me0, Jun 7, 2005.

1. fr0me0

fr0me0

Dec 7, 2004
    Winnipeg Canada
    I got a 20meg video of me playing the trooper. I picked that song because I figure more bad habbits or short cuts or whatever would come out in a faster song rather than a slow song. I know I messed the song up quite a bit but what I'm really hoping people will be able to point out is bad technique. The only thing I know for sure I'm doing wrong is 'saluting' with my index when i'm not using it, but I'm sure theres lots of other things.

www.fromeo.com/thetrooper.avi

I've had a bass in my posetion for about 2-3 years but have only really been playing it seriously for about 6 months out of all that time. When I was in school I barely had time to look at the thing let alone play it. I plan on getting an instructor but the consevatory here doesn't give lessons over the summer so I have to wait til September. and I don't wanna spend all summer working on my chops and letting some bad habbits set in really bad.

2. eric234

eric234 Guest

Mar 11, 2005
    philadelphia
    there is no picture of you just a bunch of swirling colors

3. fr0me0

fr0me0

Dec 7, 2004
    Winnipeg Canada
    probably don't have the codec then

4. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Well, my two cents:

- Normally, I don't play over the neck pickup as you do. Specially on faster songs, it's more difficult to have control over the strings because of the lower tension there. In your bass, I'd play not exactly over the bridge pickup, but slightly towards the neck. Strings have higher tension there, so you're more in control because of the faster reaction to your attack.

- Something I always remark to my students and highly criticize from your performance: If you're going to show something to get opinions, you should wear your instrument as you would when playing with your band. I mean, you didn't even hang your bass. How do you wear it? High? Low? Maybe that sounds as an unimportant detail, but it's more important than so many may think. That highly affects your playing. In fact, everybody should practice wearing the bass as normally does, or at least keep it at the same relative point when seated (that's one of the advantages of wearing the bass high).

- About your left hand: I think you need to get more into the concept of "economy of motion". When you try to use your pinky and middle finger for playing a fill, so many things happen there. You raise your pinky so high off the fretboard. The thumb, that supposedly should keep the same position, can be seen when you try to do something like that. Judging for your LH's (awkward) position when you play the G string, I think you have your thumb's fingertip too toward the bass side. Try to put it slightly behind the middle (slightly behind the "skunk stripe", if your bass has one). The fill I'm talking about is: You play E-E-E-E-E-E-E-E-E-E-E-E-(D-E-D-E?) I could never understand what were you trying to play in that part I put between parentheses (hope you understand what I'm talking about), because the aforementioned problem. Keep things the nearest possible to your fingers!

Of course, there are so many opinions about the proper technique on bass and all of them are valid. Louis Johnson puts his left thumb exactly the opposite way I told you, for instance. Being a so young instrument, the bass guitar's technique hasn't "settled" as the real old instruments'. The "big problem" is: I think it will never do. Hope this helps! :)

5. fr0me0

fr0me0

Dec 7, 2004
    Winnipeg Canada
    thanks for the post. I'll try playing where you mentioned.

I play with my bass fairly high up, around waist level so not as high as it is when im sitting but since the its on alot more of an angle its pretty much the same height until I start getting into the really high frets.

I see what you are saying about Economizing. I assume the best way to go about learning that would be to play slowly while paying attention to keeping my fingers closer to the fret board and then slowly working up speed?

thanks again for your post.

6. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Yes, but don't forget your best friend for practicing: YOUR METRONOME.