Can you read music?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by OriginalName, Feb 21, 2005.

1. :D Yes, I can.

I have had a bass teacher since June (two months after I started playing). And after being able to read music, I realized that I hate tabs.
  2. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    No, all by ear.

Don't even know how to use a chart.

3. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Well I can read music, I can read tabs, I can learn stuff by ear.

I supposedly have NEAR PERFECT PITCH!!!!! :cool:

Trust me, if you listen to every Metallica inside and out non-stop, you'll be able to hung an E and every note in the Em chord!
  4. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Yes. And since this isn't technique related, I'm sending this off to General Instruction.
  5. bass_man86

Apr 29, 2002
    Virginia Beach
    I am sorry to say that I have never learned to read standard notation, although I would love to given the oppurtunity. I prefer to use chords charts whenever available, I will use tab only if I am not clear about a particular passage. All that being said, I have never seen a rock musician playing off of sheet music on stage! ;)
  6. gilbert46

Sep 21, 2004
    Sacramento, CA
    I can read music, but in treble cleft, not bass. I play alto sax as well. Atleast I think i can read music, I can play it, then listen to how it should be played and sulk in my failure :(
  7. Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I can read alto clef, treble and bass I can kinda because of piano...but not when I'm playing...gotta reteach myself that...
  8. Ben Rose

Ben Rose

Jan 12, 2004
    I read music and get alot of my gigs because I can (read). Now if my ears just didn't suck. Working on that, though.
  9. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Yes, treble and bass clef. I don't use tab ever. I work either by ear or off charts (fully notated parts or lead sheets) as the situation requires.
  10. Eli M.

Eli M. Life's like a movie, write your own ending

Jul 24, 2004
    New York, NY
    I can read treble and bass clef very well. Although I can read alto clef because I have written for the viola, it isn't second nature like treble and bass.

The only "professional" musical experience I've had has been on the piano/keyboard (only twice, but hey, I'm just 19 years old :) ). One situation, required that I read an actual piano part (member of the orchestra for a musical). The other required learning from lead sheets and then memorizing (cocktail piano).

I can read bass notation, but I can't remember actually having to do it. I rarely, if ever, use tab.
  11. Commreman

Commreman Faith, Family, Fitness, and Frets Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2005
    New Jersey
    Yes. The only way to do it is to just do it - every day! It is a skill that will open new musical doors for you.
  12. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    This is quite true. Practice it over and over.

I'd love to say that I can "sort of" read music (I've gotten lax so my reading skills really aren;t up to snuff), but i remember hearing Jaco say that you can't "sort of" read music. You either can read it or you can't.
  13. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    I encourage every bass playey to learn to read music. I used to just use chords for worhip songs and stuff, but them my music reading progressed to the point where I just started using the written piano parts. My basslines improved greatly when I started doing this. Now I very much prefer written music. There's just so much that gets left behind in a tab or chord chart. Now, I hardly play whats written, but it is a great starting place and gives me tons of ideas.
  14. Can i read it....yes

Can i read it well...i'm okay, i can get a song usualyl after 2 or three tries
  15. zcwilkes

zcwilkes Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Barboursville, WV
    Yes I can. I was a music major in college and also play Tuba and Basson. (the basson not as well, I have't play it in 5 years)
  16. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    Growing up playing in school bands, I had to read standard notation on both clefs every day. Playing in a Jazz quintet,
    I had to read charts from the "Real Book". Playing in Rock/top 40 bands, I just pick the bass lines off the records by ear.
    I never learned tab.

17. Kurisu

Nov 19, 2003
    Saskatoon SK
    In the Jaco sense of read music, no, I can't. But I'm working on it - both bass and treble (guitar). Treble is useful if you ever pick up Levine's Jazz Theory Book. Wow, a treasure of treble.

Plus, it's fun. Like a game. You see yourself progress everyday. I see others do this with driving or fighting games on the PS2.
  18. Yes. I think it's a necessary skill

and it doesn't seem to get in the way of my playing :bag:
  19. bass_man86

Apr 29, 2002
    Virginia Beach
    Anyone of you guys know of any software available to learn to read sheet music? I am military and stationed overseas which brings some real challenges to getting together with an instructor. Please e-mail me. Thanks a bunch.