Can you read music?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Flash, Feb 18, 2002.

1. Yes

57 vote(s)
  2. No, Play by ear

12 vote(s)
  3. Trying to learn

19 vote(s)
  1. Flash

Feb 3, 2002
    Salem, Oregon
    Just curious how many people actually read music...versus playing by ear or feel.

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I'm no Tommy Tedesco, but I get by...
  3. Why is it 'read music vs. play by ear'? I do both. Also, I can play the tunes I 'hear' in my head. I read less now (bad eyesight) than I used to when I was younger and taking piano lessons (and HAD to read). Like JMX, I get by.
  4. Flash

Feb 3, 2002
    Salem, Oregon, bad list of choices.....just wanted to get a dialog going....I'll assume that if you can read can also play by ear...unless otherwise commented in a post.

I personally amd just for now I play by ear...
  5. eViL cAkE

eViL cAkE Guest

Sep 6, 2001
    Just East of Dallas
    I'm a solid reader myself.

I can even play something that's written in treble clef if someone hands me a lead sheet and wants me to double the melody with them. I'm not bragging or anything, it's just that going to five years of college for a music education degree does that to you.

However, in most of the musical situations where I play bass, it's all by ear though.

Bye, bye
    eViL cAkE
  6. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    I got half of reading music down.When i look at sheet music I can tell what note play,but i cant read timing.If i get the sheet music for a song ive never heard,I wouldnt be able to get the timing right.

I also play by ear alot.

Shouldnt this be in general instruction?
  7. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin

8. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Can read music.
    Can play by ear.

9. What he said.;)

I find, in most situations I deal with, I'm using my ear more than reading music.
  10. I'm along the same lines as frankandbeans (Get it? Lines? Ohh I crack myself up), I can play the song, I just can't get the timing right unless I hear the song. But I'm working on it! I'm getting a teacher sometime next month, this guy knows his stuff AND is a metal fan. Talk about a walking contradiction!
  11. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    I can read music, but I'm still learning to play by ear.
  12. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    I can read music better than english....
  13. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    Do tabz count??

Chris A.
  14. I read and play by ear.

15. BassPlayerGush

Sep 23, 2001
    im TRYING to learn how, but its coming very, very slow. it seems like a lot of you people know how. how did you learn? or whats the easiest and most efficient way to (just not half-a$$ed)? now i really seem stupid.:eek:
  16. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I have never had to read for a gig. Always play by ear and/or chord charts. But I am teaching myself to read, and also learning theory on my own. It's a slow, but very rewarding process.
  17. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Back when I was taking lessons I could read OK. Now, it's painful to decipher even a bass clef.

I can get by on charts.

I've got a pretty good ear for everything but tricky jazz and fancy solos.
  18. I can read somewhat. i've got some note length issues, but it's nothing really. I also play by ear.
  19. If my eyesight gets any worse, I'll have to learn how to read by ear like you do. Do you give lessons?
  20. lubcha132

Feb 17, 2002
    NJ, USA
    playing trumpet and trombone, i can read music.