Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Can you reccomend me an bass overdrive pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by 43apples, Jun 5, 2005.

1. 43apples

43apples Guest

Nov 9, 2003
    Hey guys!

I currently own an Ibanez PD-7 "distortion" pedal, which i bougth back in the days when i were young and stupid ;). I find it useless, you only have two sounds: A clean boost that sucks out the mids, and a "distortion" with super-boomy lows and a harsh, icky topend\midrange. So distorted that you couldn't hear what you were playing, regardless of settings.

Now, i'm looking for something that could give me a "overdriven" sound, not very distorted, just a bit grittier, rawer and with more harmonics. Since i can't get a valve amp to do this for me, i'm looking for a pedal.

I've been considering the Electro Harmonix Hot Tubes pedal, but some people has said that it's just a "Big Muff with valves", and others have said that it's a "SVT in a box".

So, please guide a young bassist! :)

Cheers!
    -Erlend

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
  3. 43apples

43apples Guest

Nov 9, 2003
  4. if you can find an old marshall guv'nor (not the new ones they're meant to be ungood) they give a really good overdrive sound, i got one off ebay for 70 pounds.

5. +1...also, the hao rust ride is phenominal, but its more svt @ 11 instead of a middle of the road overdrive, and the keeley modded boss blues driver rocks...even stock theyre pretty good (cept they lose a good bit of low end...stick it in an fx loop and get some good clean tone underneath it and ur set)

6. 43apples

43apples Guest

Nov 9, 2003
    Thanks guys!

I may not have made myself clear enough; i don't want a "overdriven\fuzzy" sound, i want something that gives me the "Tube on the egde of breakup" sound. Not any audible fuzz or distortion, more like a rawer, chrunchier clean sound.

And oh; i want it to sound *natural*. Blending clean bottoms with a overdriven treble is out of the opiton :).

Ok?
    Thanks,
    -Erlend

7. then go w/ the keeley modded bd-2 u can get that nice "throaty" overdrive and full bottom end...just thick

8. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    EBS Multidrive... definitely.. ;)

EBS makes such great boxes, once you own one, you want two.. and you want three... and now I've got four of them. Just find an excuse to buy them all.. they all are heavily addictive. Turn them on and get delighted. :ninja:

www.ebs.bass.se

Quite nearby for you!

9. The only person talking sense in this thread !!!

:p , the Sansamp BassDriver DI is great :)

10. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    For what you want it for, this gets a +1. It is a useful to any bass rig that isn't high end.

Ted

11. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    works great with high end rigs too...if you like its sound.

12. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    +1 on the Sansamp

13. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    IMO, if you spend money on a high end rig and then need a SANSamp to help your sound you've wasted your money buying the rig to begin with or made some very bad choices.

Ted

14. slinkp

slinkp

Aug 29, 2003
    brooklyn, NY, USA
    +1. I have bought and sold probably a dozen overdrives and distortions. For now I'm keeping the Keeley. It really is pretty close to a neutral-sounding overdrive. Only drawback: feeding it a very bassy signal (e.g. fingerstyle with some low-end boost from onboard EQ) can make it a bit farty unless you reduce the overdrive control to the point where it's not doing anything. I tend to like it best for stuff I play with a pick, or bright entwistle fingerstyle.

I had (and later sold) an EBS Multidrive. This was frustratingly close to the holy grail: it gives you great overdrive with a warm, fat, never-farty low end. It sounds just as good with bassy fingerstyle material as it does with bright picked material. Unfortunately it has a noticeable treble cut built in and there's no tone control so you can't do anything about it! :spit: This made it unusable for me, because if I adjust my amp so I like the overdriven sound, it's ridiculously bright when I turn off the overdrive; if I adjust the amp so it sounds good clean, then it sounds muted and dark when I kick in the overdrive. Phooey! I thought maybe it was a faulty unit, but I've tried a few of them and they all do the same thing. So close, and yet so far.... I think they are on the right track, but FOR GOD'S SAKE EBS, GIVE ME A TONE CONTROL! Even if it's just an internal trimpot or something. Grrrr.

As for the SABDDI: I suppose it's fine if you like sucking all the midrange out of your sound. :D I had one for about a week, and returned it to the shop. Hated it.

15. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    True, the sansamp's magic really works best making lower end rigs sound awesome.

I just happen to love its sound. But I would think it would sound great with a hi-fi amp too, if you want to get a gritty svt-like sound out of it.

16. 43apples

43apples Guest

Nov 9, 2003
    Hmm, that Sansamp seems nice!

I'm just worried that it would "dirty" up my sound too much though, rather to make it sound "valveish" ?

By the way, i play in a fusion\funk band, so metal type distortion is out of the question. Nothing too fuzzy\distorted, just fatter, tubier and with a little "grunt" in the lows! :)

Anyway, thanks alot!
    -Erlend

17. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    The Sansamp will give you a nice slightly overdriven sound, like digging into the strings with a classic Ampeg. It will, of course, also do a bit more than that if you'd like it to.

Ted

18. There is nothing wrong with having a high end rig and using the sansamp as an effect pedal

i think he was meaning its great for lower end amps as being used as a pre amp ?

19. Remember SANS means "without!"

Jerzy