Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

can you recommend a good hollow body...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AltIII, Mar 23, 2003.

1. AltIII

AltIII

Sep 3, 2002
    I'm trying to start a punk-core blues band (I know it sounds strange), so I figure a nice hollow body bass would have the perfect sound for blues. The only hollow body that I've heard anything about is the Jack Cassidy and the Rivoli. are there any others?

2. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    Lakland makes a really nice looking one.

3. Yep. I have this Fender A/E. they are hard to find these days. They made these with frets too...it has Fender Lace Sensor pups and a piezo under the wood bridge...I dig it. I have about 10 basses and this one gets play the most....
    [​IMG]

4. banditcosmo

banditcosmo Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2002
    Charlottesville, Va.
  5. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    If you look around the used markets you could probably find some 335-styled basses by Hagstrom, Yamaha, Guild, I believe Aria made some, and I'm sure there's plenty of others, aside from what's already been mentioned.

6. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Doesn't Carvin make one? I know that Warmoth makes a body with chambers in it, atleast.

7. AltIII

AltIII

Sep 3, 2002
    thanks guy. But most of these basses are way above my budget, I bag groceries for a living.

8. :eek: those basses look frickin' AWESOME. i'm gonna have to visit you sometime and check them out. ;)

9. turkish

turkish Guest

Jul 14, 2002
    FCCAUSA, or here
    sell ya one wit hreally high action and sounds like an upright for 100$

10. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    I truly believe that we should have a moratorium on threads with pictures of Rob Allens!!! You guys are killing me! :D

OTOH, I can attest that the Epiphone Jack Casady sounds great and is pretty versatile for a single pickup axe...

[​IMG]

-robert

11. AltIII

AltIII

Sep 3, 2002
    I just might take you up on that offer. What kind is it, gotta pic?

12. turkish

turkish Guest

Jul 14, 2002
    FCCAUSA, or here
    it's an old apollo, one of the pups isn't working but if you know how to wore them i think it will, i tihnk the wire just came loose, it sounds remarkably like an upright, i'll have my digital camera back in a few days so i'll post a pic soon

13. AltIII

AltIII

Sep 3, 2002
    [​IMG]

you mean something like this?

14. Spector makes a hollow-body called the Spectorcore that has a piezo pickup along with a normal EMG-HZ. I've never played it, but it sure looks nice and is very reasonably priced.

15. AltIII

AltIII

Sep 3, 2002
    BTW, what do you guys think of my idea for a punk-core blues band? Think it sounds too gimicky? I mean, it'll basically be blues, but with more liberties (not just sticking to the standard blues chord progression) and with punk-esq lyrical matter .

16. turkish

turkish Guest

Jul 14, 2002
    FCCAUSA, or here

not quite but close ish

17. slam

slam Guest

Mar 22, 2000
    Virginia
    Ive got a couple of hollow bodies. My favorite is a DeArmond reissue of the Guild Starfire. This is a nice bass for the money. Mine has TI Flats on it and it gets a really nice tone for a short scale bass.

I also have a Japanese Beatle Bass that has a bolt on neck and Rotosound flats. Someday I will stick a long scale neck on this beast. This one thumpier than the Starfire.

I have played some Rob Allens on my trips to NYC and they are awesome. The thickest, sweetest tone I have ever heard. I would love to get one but I cant afford it right now.

19. kroth

kroth

Apr 6, 2003
    hey, fetchdabss, cool fender ya got there. I have the exact same on, only with the vintage sunburst finish. I thought I would never see another, but hey here we are. I got mine second hand from a boutique shop in palm harbor florida about three years ago, and I love it to death. If I'm not mistaken , they are from around 85-86, called the "california" model
    a/e. definitely worth hanging onto.